Its like I've returned to my childhood.

A place to talk about... anything!
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Its like I've returned to my childhood.

Post by Keavy »

Yesterday I hit up that church-run used goods store my mom's friend was telling me about and I got me a ton of Bon Jovi, Van Halen, Poison, Cinderella, Journey, and Cheap Trick CD's for $3 a piece.

Right now I've got Bon Jovi's "New Jersey" blaring outta my iPod and its awesome.

I forgot how incredibly awesome this album was.

You don't see cheesy ballad lyrics like this, anymore:
Bon Jovi wrote:So baby, can you tell me just where we fit in
I call it love they call it living in sin
Is it you and me or just this world we live in
I say we're living on love they say we're living in sin
Lots of epic guitar solos, plenty of crooning, ohh...I missed this.
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

nice.... I wanted to get that Monsters of rock CD I have been seeing on TV, I love me some old rock
Cecil-FFIV: I'm just a knight with no courage to disobey his Majesty.....
Kain-FFIV: I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.....
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Kailea wrote:nice.... I wanted to get that Monsters of rock CD I have been seeing on TV, I love me some old rock
I don't buy those because sure, you're getting the "radio hits" but there's so much more cheesy goodness on the album and most thrift stores and flea markets are fully stocked with those CD's at bargain prices.

Its like when I see the "Time Life Music Collection" infomercials after logging out of FFXI after an amazing JP party has ended and they say "If you bought all of the music in this collection it would take months of driving around town and cost thousands" and I'm like "Where does your dumb ass shop?"

Sure, if you go to The Wherehouse...I mean, Virgin Megastore...Oh, um...Tower Records...

Yeah. Those places are either dead and gone or on life support and only the ignorant weep. Thanks to the internet I can get what I want in no time either for cheap or free, depending on how I feel about said band. Band I love and support? I hit up Amazon. Band I heard about but want to see if I like? Torrent. Then if I really do like them I'll buy their CD through...you guessed it. Amazon.
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Downloading Music > CD's

reasons?

You can Mix artists.

You can hold much much much much more.

Cheaper if not free.

Faster than looking for the CD.

If you lose the song, you can always download it again for free or a very small cost.
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

"If I could have a bot program. I'd have an Auto-Tarupunt one. You know. As soon as you go AFK it punts all taru within the area. Priceless" ~ Blackwing of Phoenix Server
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Yeah but these are used CDs PH.

Its different.

You just must not understand the thrill of the hunt and the joy in the score that us bargain hunters feel.

And part of the thing about shopping for nostalga music is the playlist of the album itself, in order.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Igihstehr
Tomcat

Post by Igihstehr »

Another great spot is the library (if you have one with a good music section) I am currently bopping out to the Doobies and the Brand New Heavies on my iPod compliments of the Groton Public Library... I have found everything from Cake and The White Stripes to Sergio Mendez & the Brasil '66 and Chet Baker to you name it there.

Current obsession from the library: Bebel Gilberto's Tanto Tempo
[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1026/891925608_d883ad1e18_o.jpg[/img]
[size=75].:|DRG 58|WHM 42|THF 32|BLM 30|SAM 30|BLU 29|WAR 28|BRD 26|NIN 20|SMN 18|RNG 18|MNK 16|DRK 13|PLD 10|RDM 7|:.
San D'Oria Rank 7 || Cooking 22 | Woodworking 47 | Fishing 20 | Alchemy 10[/size]
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

My local library has a lot of Opera, Classical, and that patriotic Country that was huge after 9/11. I've really gotten into the Opera and Classical but the Country...no thanks.

I can't stand that "Pop" country that's popular today. Give me the real stuff.
Igihstehr
Tomcat

Post by Igihstehr »

Marty Robbins over Kelly Pickler any day!
[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1026/891925608_d883ad1e18_o.jpg[/img]
[size=75].:|DRG 58|WHM 42|THF 32|BLM 30|SAM 30|BLU 29|WAR 28|BRD 26|NIN 20|SMN 18|RNG 18|MNK 16|DRK 13|PLD 10|RDM 7|:.
San D'Oria Rank 7 || Cooking 22 | Woodworking 47 | Fishing 20 | Alchemy 10[/size]
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

What made me want to cry was seeing System of a Down in the "Pop Music" section along with Aerosmith, Smashing Pumpkins, Mettalica, Kansas, and even Tenacious D. I made me want to cry. I mean really it says METTALICA not POPICA....
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

"If I could have a bot program. I'd have an Auto-Tarupunt one. You know. As soon as you go AFK it punts all taru within the area. Priceless" ~ Blackwing of Phoenix Server
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Pheonixhawk wrote:What made me want to cry was seeing System of a Down in the "Pop Music" section along with Aerosmith, Smashing Pumpkins, Mettalica, Kansas, and even Tenacious D. I made me want to cry. I mean really it says METTALICA not POPICA....
Lately Metallica just sucks. Older stuff is awesome but I remember in high school my friend Newman was all like "OMG Load is so awesome" so I buy it and I'm like... :?

What the hell?

Then it just kept getting worse from there.

It seems a lot of bands are doing that lately. Well, System of a Down I just got sick of. I still like and enjoy their self-titled CD and Toxicity but as soon as I heard BYOB I said "OK I'm done" mainly because it was, like, a neutered version of their older stuff.

What really sucks is when a band member leaves and you listen to the band's first album without that person and realize they basically made that band what they were. Kinda like with Ben Moody and Evanescence. Amy Lee can sing but she's about as bad as Britney Spears when it comes to songwriting and composing. Hell, I think she may actually be worse!

On the subject of Evanescence, remember that period of time where it seemed like we were being assaulted by pseudo-Christian rock on the radio? Bands like DC Talk, Creed, and POD? Hell, Creed was a Christian rock band but their label marketed them as just another angry rock band and released their Christian album as such. I did buy their albums mainly because girls liked that kind of stuff and I liked girls.

Don't get me wrong. I do venture out of my Progressive Metal/80's hair metal world and discover some totally kickass stuff. Bjork, Weezer, The White Stripes, Garbage, and one band no one can believe I actually like...The Spice Girls. OK, I'm joking about The Spice Girls. What they produce barely qualifies as music. Much like that overproduced rap/rock sh*t MTV went crazy for in the late 90's/early 00's. Kid Rock, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park. I did really like Eminem, though. "The Slim Shady LP" and "The Marshall Mathers LP" are still good to this day, although if I had to choose I'd go with the former over the latter because "Marshall Mathers" was more about him starting sh*t with ICP/Juggalos and teen pop stars.

Recently I've gone back into my musical shell. Instead of listening to new music I just load my iPod with my old standby's and favorites I haven't listened to in a while and hit "Random." Nothing's cooler than having my iPod start with Bjork then go to Weezer then Queensryche or some other nonsensical random song selection.

So throughout my lifetime I have listened to and loved a lot of bands. My dad got me going with Pink Floyd and Rush while my mom got me into Johnny Cash, John Denver, and Dolly Parton when I was just a babe, my first babysitter Kelly got me into Twisted Sister, Public Enemy, and KISS, moved on to Guns 'n Roses and the hair metal bands, discovered Queensryche which led me to Dream Theater, my first girlfriend, Megan Parker, got me into Cheap Trick, in high school I abandoned all of that for White Zombie, Nine Inch Nails, and Marilyn Manson because the guys I was hanging out with were into that and I wanted to be cool. High School girlfriend Kendra Wilson was really into Joni Mitchell, Elvis Costello, Bjork, and Cat Stevens and got me into a couple of them. After high school I spent many paychecks rebuying what I had sold in high school and adding the crap club girls liked into my collection to appease them then discovered the internet where I realized I'd only scratched the surface of what was out there musically.

So yeah...its hard for me to really compile a list of all the bands I like or what I'm all into because there's so much out there that I've heard and loved and even if I tried to list every band I never could because I'd have to keep adding bands I forgot about that I'm rediscovering or stuff that I'm finding for the first time.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Keavy wrote:Lately Metallica just sucks. Older stuff is awesome but I remember in high school my friend Newman was all like "OMG Load is so awesome" so I buy it and I'm like... :?
You gotta be kidding me?! I saw them on Sunday and they were f-ing amazing! (Bastards didn't play Fuel though >.<). Load is good, it's just different. A lot of the old fans really don't like it when bands try new things and it did work with Load and even more with Reload but Garage Inc. and St. Anger aren't great :oops:

System I've seen not once, not twice, but thrice! They are awesome :D
Amy Lee can sing but she's about as bad as Britney Spears when it comes to songwriting and composing. Hell, I think she may actually be worse!
You kidding? Since when does Britney write her own songs? She's possibly written 2 or 3 out of the... what... 4 or 5 albums? I really like Evanescence's first album but if you want something similar but heavier try Nightwish.

I've seen White Stripes too, quite frankly I wasn't impressed. They were rather boring and as musicians go they kinda suck (Seven Nation Army easiest guitar part ever!) and wtf no bass guitarist? :P
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Sugami wrote:
Keavy wrote:Lately Metallica just sucks. Older stuff is awesome but I remember in high school my friend Newman was all like "OMG Load is so awesome" so I buy it and I'm like... :?
You gotta be kidding me?! I saw them on Sunday and they were f-ing amazing! (Bastards didn't play Fuel though >.<). Load is good, it's just different. A lot of the old fans really don't like it when bands try new things and it did work with Load and even more with Reload but Garage Inc. and St. Anger aren't great :oops:

System I've seen not once, not twice, but thrice! They are awesome :D
Amy Lee can sing but she's about as bad as Britney Spears when it comes to songwriting and composing. Hell, I think she may actually be worse!
You kidding? Since when does Britney write her own songs? She's possibly written 2 or 3 out of the... what... 4 or 5 albums? I really like Evanescence's first album but if you want something similar but heavier try Nightwish.

I've seen White Stripes too, quite frankly I wasn't impressed. They were rather boring and as musicians go they kinda suck (Seven Nation Army easiest guitar part ever!) and wtf no bass guitarist? :P
I freaking love Nightwish and I still do love Evanescence's first album. Its just that their follow-up did disappoint me and the only time Britney Spears songs were actually decent was when her record label had that army of gay Swedish men writing her songs. As soon as she broke away from them she went downhill fast.

As for The White Stripes, they're not for everyone. I've never seen them live, though.

However...this August I will get to see Rush live for the first time ever. Am I psyched? Very.
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

The System of a Down CD with that song B.Y.O.B is by far the CD I Hate the most. I literraly was going to stop listening to them cause of that CD, because thier other 3 especially "Steal this Album" were so much better. But then they came out with Hypnotize the second part of Mezmerize, and man it's got the original CD's beat. Well not Toxicity, anyways. That one will always be Number 1. Pink Floyd were an awesome band, I especially loved the song "Another Brick in the Wall" which is what got my attention. I have 10 top bands which Ill list here:

1. System of a Down (Bet you guessed that one huh?)

2. Tenacious D

3. Queen

4. Weezer

5. Mettalica

6. Kansas

7. Evenesance

8. Foo Fighters

9. Gorrillaz

10. Pink Floyd

As for Evenesance to be honest, I can't just outright listen to her songs and be all interested like, or want to sing along etc. It's more of a Im playing FFXI and I need some background music. Thats just my opinion. When Im at work ill play her because its nice background music while I type.
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Pheonixhawk wrote: Pink Floyd were an awesome band, I especially loved the song "Another Brick in the Wall" which is what got my attention.
If you liked the song, see the movie.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

I missed seeing Pink Flyod at Live 8 because they were running way behind schedual and I had to get home before the trains stopped running :cry:

Army of gay Swedish writers? Would that be for her first two albums then? Back when pop was still pop and not the crappy hip-hop, RnB kinda sh*t you get these days.

B.Y.O.B. is on Mesmerize, isn't it? Or is it Hypnotize? Can't remember, whichever one came first (still need both those albums). I went to the Hypnotize tour (twice), really enjoyed it. Steal This Album is kinda crappy though, it's all the crappy songs that didn't make it onto the previous album(s) stuck in a new album because everyone was downloading them anyways.
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Sugami wrote:Army of gay Swedish writers? Would that be for her first two albums then? Back when pop was still pop and not the crappy hip-hop, RnB kinda sh*t you get these days.
If you look up the lyrics online you'll see that Britney only wrote one song (Which was on her second album) and her record company had tight control over who she worked with and what songs she did.

It was working great but she wanted more creative freedom and control and so she went to work on her third album, mostly without her gay Swedish songwriters and without her record label's composers and engineers. What we got was that crappy hip-hop RnB.

All bands and artists have that period where they decide to either cave in to the pressure from their record company to conform or break away from their record company in an effort to express themselves artistically. Either way the result is the same: Their record sounds and sells like crap so they either turn their backs on the industry and go underground or they go back to their label on their hands and knees begging for forgiveness.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Well she's still releasing that crap but I think it's more due to her caving in and wanting to do what all the other crappy "artists" were doing. She's also gone f*cking nuts :lol:

Back to Metallica, they're constantly changing their sound and to hell with what the label says. They're still huge but if you see them live they won't use any songs from Garage Inc or St Anger in their set :lol:
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Sugami wrote:Well she's still releasing that crap but I think it's more due to her caving in and wanting to do what all the other crappy "artists" were doing. She's also gone f*cking nuts :lol:

Back to Metallica, they're constantly changing their sound and to hell with what the label says. They're still huge but if you see them live they won't use any songs from Garage Inc or St Anger in their set :lol:
I'm cool with bands changing. I still love Rush even though they went from their 10 minute+ long songs about fallen future civilizations and social upheaval among the trees to their 5 minute keyboard infused social commentaries, to the gritty guitar-heavy "Vapor Trails" because at the core they were still Rush.

Metallica's changed way too much. ...And Justice For All was where they started to lose me and by Load I couldn't justify listening to them any more. Reload was kinda cool and I do like it but not enough for them to win me back.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

You can't call yourself a Metallica fan then :oops: And Justice For All I think was their 3rd album before they got the "sound" they were after from getting the Motley Cru's old producer starting with Metallica (The Black Album).

Incidentally I don't have the first three albums (yet), that includes Ride The Lightning, Kill Em All and And Justice For All but most Metallica fans will acknowledge their best period was Metallica (Black Album) and Master of Puppets that has their most memorable and arguably best tracks such as Enter Sandman, Battery, Master of Puppets and Nothing Else Matters.

Metallica themselves actually think Load and Reload was the peak of their musical excellence, I'm not too keen on Load myself but Reload is probably my favourite album as it contains my all time favourite track "Fuel" 8) (I can also play that on guitar :P)

Metallica's thinking is that no matter how good you are if you keep doing the same stuff people will grow tired of you, hence them changing their sound constantly.
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Sugami wrote:You can't call yourself a Metallica fan then :oops: And Justice For All I think was their 3rd album before they got the "sound" they were after from getting the Motley Cru's old producer starting with Metallica (The Black Album).

Incidentally I don't have the first three albums (yet), that includes Ride The Lightning, Kill Em All and And Justice For All but most Metallica fans will acknowledge their best period was Metallica (Black Album) and Master of Puppets that has their most memorable and arguably best tracks such as Enter Sandman, Battery, Master of Puppets and Nothing Else Matters.

Metallica themselves actually think Load and Reload was the peak of their musical excellence, I'm not too keen on Load myself but Reload is probably my favourite album as it contains my all time favourite track "Fuel" 8) (I can also play that on guitar :P)

Metallica's thinking is that no matter how good you are if you keep doing the same stuff people will grow tired of you, hence them changing their sound constantly.
I could like one song off an obscure album and still call myself a Metallica fan.

Honestly Sug, you sound like my friend that says I'm not a real Bond fan because my three favorite Bond movies are GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies, and the remake of Casino Royale. What does it matter which Bond movies I like or don't like?

Same with Metallica. Why does everyone get so hung up on what others like or don't like?
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

:P A true Metallica fan (such as myself) likes all their stuff (besides St. Anger, we all know that kinda sucked :lol:).

I've heard the old old stuff (from their tour) and quite frankly I wasn't all that impressed. Seek And Destroy is a damn good track along with For Whom The Bell Tolls but the rest of it is kinda samey and not all that great :oops:
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Sugami wrote::P A true Metallica fan (such as myself) likes all their stuff (besides St. Anger, we all know that kinda sucked :lol:).

I've heard the old old stuff (from their tour) and quite frankly I wasn't all that impressed. Seek And Destroy is a damn good track along with For Whom The Bell Tolls but the rest of it is kinda samey and not all that great :oops:
OHH MY GOD! I have been bested on the internet.

*Sepuku*

You have your opinions about Metallica, I have mine and I seriously do not understand why its such a big deal to you.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

It's not, I'm kidding, hence the ":P"

But there is some truth in that, difference between a fan and someone who just likes them is the fan is borderline obsessed and likes whatever they make :P
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Sugami wrote:It's not, I'm kidding, hence the ":P"

But there is some truth in that, difference between a fan and someone who just likes them is the fan is borderline obsessed and likes whatever they make :P
If thats the case then Im not a System of a Down fan, and im not a FFXI fan either. Despite that 18+ hours a day are burned on listening to System and playing FFXI, I dislike 7 of System of a downs songs, and i will never be happy with everything FFXI makes.
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

Okuza
Feral Cat

Post by Okuza »

Pheonixhawk wrote:
Sugami wrote:It's not, I'm kidding, hence the ":P"

If thats the case then Im not a System of a Down fan, and im not a FFXI fan either. Despite that 18+ hours a day are burned on listening to System and playing FFXI, I dislike 7 of System of a downs songs, and i will never be happy with everything FFXI makes.
If you buy all their CD's you're a fan.

If you whine about an MMORPG, but play it anyway, you're a fan. MMORPG fans are measured by the volume of their whines, not their praise. ^~
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Okuza wrote: If you whine about an MMORPG, but play it anyway, you're a fan. MMORPG fans are measured by the volume of their whines, not their praise. ^~
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Well actually those 7 songs are from one CD in which I initially bought to hear the songs "Mesmerize" and sadly after hearing that CD once I tossed it and never listned to it again. Im sure the last songs on the track were probably ok, but I never listened to em. I just couldn't takes no mores. :lol:
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Anyone ever buy a CD and realize the band liked their first single so much they remade it 11 more times.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Keavy wrote:Anyone ever buy a CD and realize the band liked their first single so much they remade it 11 more times.
Oh my yes, but not a CD, vinyl back in the neolithic age.

Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

My mom bought that Lou Vega CD way back when and yeah...it was Mambo #5 12 times over.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Okuza wrote:If you whine about an MMORPG, but play it anyway, you're a fan. MMORPG fans are measured by the volume of their whines, not their praise. ^~
:lol: :rofl:
Keavy wrote:Anyone ever buy a CD and realize the band liked their first single so much they remade it 11 more times.
You mean Oasis? All their crap sounds the same (does my bloody head in damn indie crap) :roll: