New hobby

A place to talk about... anything!
Fiye
Captain Fiye

New hobby

Post by Fiye »

I've taken up Puppetmaster as a new hobby... so...

Tell me everything I need to know. From how to switch my Puppet's frame, install the attachments, and anything/everything else that would be good to know.

Edit: Hit PUP 10 (Gotta update Signature) and spent 90k into my second frame/head.

Wait. 90k and its only level 10! Jesus Christ! This is going to be more expensive than RNG, NIN, and COR combined. x,x
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

IIRC you buy the parts off the NPC in Nashmau or from the AH and there's an NPC in Aht Urghan near the one that gives you your frame upgrades that'll install the parts and let you use them.

So far my PUP is 14 and I've spent about 200K on parts and my first frame upgrade. Its definitely a job that'll have to wait until I get more money.
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Eviticus
'Insignificant Adventurer'

Post by Eviticus »

Well, depending on how you play it, Pup can be the most expensive job in the game. Depending on the server economy, go ahead, take a look at every attachment on your server's AH and add it all up. If it isn't several mil I'd be suprised.

However, do note there is a vendor in Nashmau who sells attachments. Don't pay full price if you don't have to. Hilltroll Puppetmasters in ToAU areas drop even more parts, so if you have a high enough job, think about farming for some if you haven't already bought them. And if you have bought them, well then farm them and put them on AH to make back what you spent.

Yes, buying all the attachments upfront is expensive. But think about it this way, what if you started Blm and bought every spell 1-75 at level one? That's just as expensive. Also, you don't need -every- attachment. Anything 50k or lower is a good thing to have, and at least half of them are avalible through a vendor. (Or find a high level Goldsmither with Clockwork Making, and ask nicely. They can make some too.)

The balence point for all this is our ENM. LV60 in Movapolas. Look at the attachments above 50-60k, at least half of them drop from that ENM. Many are worth 100-400k. Once you get to 60Pup, there is a nice option to make cash. Only problem is once every 5 days. Oh yeah, and winning, that's been a problem for me. >.>
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.
Paragon of Dragoon Excellence.
Paragon of Bard Excellence.
Paragon of Puppetmaster Excellence.
[quote="Keavy"]Evi still winnarz.[/quote]

[img]http://e.1asphost.com/AJSB1986/wyv-burn.jpg[/img]
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Not really. If you buy the right parts for about 200k, it can last you until lvl 75. Id tell ya what parts but Im sure it would be better coming from Eviticus. After all. He is teh winnarz when it comes to PUP. :)
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

"If I could have a bot program. I'd have an Auto-Tarupunt one. You know. As soon as you go AFK it punts all taru within the area. Priceless" ~ Blackwing of Phoenix Server
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

Alright. I have another question. I've figure out how to upgrade my PUP, equip stuff, and so on. But, what puzzles me is how the hell do I use these attachments. I understand there's a limit of how many of a certain type I can install of a single element, and that I can't equip no more than 12 attachments at one time.

But, how the hell do I use them?
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

You know that handy dandy controler. Its not just for looks. When you used a manuever, it uses that attachment. Light Manuever used flash when I had flashbulb attached on my puppet. (I only got pup to lvl 4 tho sadly) I think other attachements do different things im sure.
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

"If I could have a bot program. I'd have an Auto-Tarupunt one. You know. As soon as you go AFK it punts all taru within the area. Priceless" ~ Blackwing of Phoenix Server
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Some are always active but like PH said for the ones like Stoneskin and Flash you have to use the maneuver to get your automaton to do it.

PUP is a very complex job but a ton of fun and if you know what you're doing you'll be one helluva DD as PUP.
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

Alright then.

Now, there's thing one attachment I've been looking at. It reduces the RNG variant's recast on RNG attacks.

Now. It says that it needs wind. Like... 0 wind = no effect. 1 wind = recast lowered, and so on and so forth until 3 wind.

Add: Also.. how many PUP attachments are there? I think there's a shitload out right now... but how many sets have they released.

I know there's Set 1, 2, Troll PUPs/Crafting, ENM, and then Craft only.

I know I'm missing a few.
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Whichever attachment you choose dont go buying ALL of them. Thats a common mistake made by beginner pups. Why have attachments you dont need or will even have to use any time soon? Certain beginner attachments will last you to lvl 40 tho. This is coming from my friend Loarr who currently has a lvl 75 PuP.
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

I've already managed to buy 11 attachments for PUP. I suppose that'll last me for awhile.

As far as I can tell. I have no idea how I'm going to set everything up. But, I suppose other people won't notice the difference anytime soon.

Time to go out and test out the changes.
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Good luck. :)
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

Kahvi
Krazy Kat

Post by Kahvi »

I know i dont need all the attachments...

but i have a lil obsession...

i gotta get em all....
Windurst Rank 10
Fight together, die together, leave no one behind.

[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Kahvi.png[/img][/url]
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

I spent 5 mil on COR at Lv30 (for 2 items), thank your lucky stars you didn't take it up shortly after release.
Eviticus

Post by Eviticus »

Yeah, I remember Pup when it was new, the items for the new frames were so heavy in demand I remember just one of the items needed....wamamoura cloth or cocoon or something, went for several hundread k. Some people camped the guild just to sell it on AH.

And if you have any specific questions as far as Pup, feel free to ask. I sense general confusion....but seeing as how Pup is very complicated, I'm not sure where to start.

Fiye, you asked about how many attachments there are. Best think I can do for ya is to simply say, Auction House > Other > Automaton. As for what they do, let me give you a link or two.

Now, I don't generally like posting links to other forums and saying "Go read this". Generally I just try to help where I can. But Pup is special in that it's such a huge departure from other jobs. Many people have devoted alot of time to record their experinces and findings associated with Pup. Alla and FFXIcyclopedia have alot of good info, but I find the Pup forums on KI to be particularly well done.

PUP 201 is all about the Frames and attachments, and is more complete then any other source I've seen. Either that, or it's just plain easier to read. But, before 201, there's 101.

PUP 101 has alot more basic information. Some small points of strategy and gear I disagree on, but in general both 101 and 201 are very much reading before you sink time into pointless strategy, and gil into pointless attachments.
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.

Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Eviticus wrote:Some people camped the guild just to sell it on AH.
People still do that :P
Eviticus

Post by Eviticus »

Problem is with that now there is less of a huge demand. Back then it was going for 100k+, and now, just over 10k.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

It's still a nice little bonus, especially if you can craft the cacoons into silk. Also bare in mind the guildshops are only open like 50% of the time due to Besieged.