An interesting article

A place to talk about... anything!
Sakino
Big Cat

An interesting article

Post by Sakino »

Ph33r th3 b4rd!

[img]http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/4166/131035531942hl.gif[/img]

"Wealth is an illusion, power is fleeting, but tuna... tuna is REAL!" - Brynmor of Phoenix
MittensValefor
Big Cat

Post by MittensValefor »

"An unlimited power to tax involves, necessarily, the power to destroy."
-- Daniel Webster
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16
http://www.allpeopleeverywhere.com/
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

This is.........You know, I'm not going to repeat the manythings I'd like to say to them. So I'll call the IRS and tell them to take my tax return and shove up so far that they wont be able to sit without hearing the rustling of papers.
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Makes me glad I don't live in America... amoung other things :lol:

Well they already tax sales on the game, probably the fees aswell... what else can they do? :?
Sakino
Big Cat

Post by Sakino »

Abraham Lincoln wrote:"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly.”
Ph33r th3 b4rd!

[img]http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/4166/131035531942hl.gif[/img]

"Wealth is an illusion, power is fleeting, but tuna... tuna is REAL!" - Brynmor of Phoenix
Tinacat
Feral Cat

Post by Tinacat »

I like this alot, if only i knew wtf "second life" was
Cardian > puppets
[img]http://www.apricotsoft.com/~mimora/star_/ff11/05out1/05out1_006.jpg[/img]
so great being a grey haired Mithra THF
Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

It's a (last I recall) free game on the net where you can basically build a life for your character, and build houses and such after acquiring land. Mind you however, I know very little else about it. :oops:
OMFG! 8 75+!!!! :shock: Who knew slackers could work so hard? D:
And now a Miqo'te as well. >=D

Melee classes:PLD90/NIN90/WAR90/THF90/SAM83/MNK90/DNC46/DRK24/DRG12/COR8/PUP12/RNG5
Magic/Support Classes:WHM82/BLM87/BRD28/SMN35/RDM23/BLU8/SCH1
Okuza
Feral Cat

Post by Okuza »

IIRC, even barter is taxed -- or at least it's supposed to be taxed. My vague recollection of the rules for barter taxing are that it's kind of screwy. The idea behind that law is to prevent the economy from a mass exodus away from currency to barter as a tax dodge. So, since gil and characters have value, you could conceivably be taxed on FFXI transactions, I suppose.

If someone ever gets hit for barter-tax because of using an online game that tries to prevent RMT, that's a huge warty problem for the game company. That implies the characters all *legally* have real value regardless of the wishes or intentions of the provider. The company could get sued for a ban or suspension a lot easier than now. Gilsellers couldn't be banned in that case.

Hell, the game company would need to log all your transactions and file some kind of 1099 for you. I doubt game tax will ever happen. It would literally kill the entire MMORPG market. The idea is just absurd. "OMG, I got a peacock charm. Ugh, gotta pay the IRS $50 now" or "If you live in my state, you must pay me an extra 8% sales tax on these mithkababs."
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Second Life is about as close to another life as it gets.

Several government agancies maintain accounts there for training purposes.

Many RL bands give concerts there, and several people of note have given lectures there.

Good article in a recent Wired on it.

The designers not only allow the players to make content, they encourage it. Among the first content added by players were sex organs. :lol: Honest, no joke. Players own rights to the content they add, this is how RL clothing shops opperate there.

But as $L can be exchanged for RL $, scamers are everywhere.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Eviticus
'Insignificant Adventurer'

Post by Eviticus »

I played SL quite a bit because as most of you know, I have no life....well...first one anyways. SL is essentially a high end, very user driven, free style virtual world....with an exchange rate to the $. Also, the main way to make money is to create virtual things like furniture, houses, clothes, emotes, whatever...and sell it for L$. The exchange rate is horrible...like 300L$ = 1$ or something....but it is possible to make some money at this.

Now playing SL is free...for the basic account. You get a very small weekly allowence. If you pay per month, however, you get more. And more rights in the game itself, not sure what. I do know, however, I enjoy FFXI much more then SL. Oh yeah, and lots of way out there genre's....yeah...there's some really freaky things going on in SL.
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.
Paragon of Dragoon Excellence.
Paragon of Bard Excellence.
Paragon of Puppetmaster Excellence.
[quote="Keavy"]Evi still winnarz.[/quote]

[img]http://e.1asphost.com/AJSB1986/wyv-burn.jpg[/img]
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: An interesting article

Post by xaresity »

xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: An interesting article

Post by xaresity »

сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтtuchkasсайтсайт