PS3 Preorders

A place to talk about... anything!
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

I've had my eye on a few different HDTV's and I am looking for something in the range of 37-42" and I appreciate Tivia's advice.

I have a 360 and watching my roommate waste countless hours on GRAW multiplayer I think: "Man, that could look so much better" but considering I'll be moving out next summer (when he and his fiancee get married) and I plan on refinancing my car loan for lower interest and payments (That's part of the reason I am broke. I owed $5K on my trade-in and it wasn't in the best of shape which is why I got rid of it) so I gotta save up some cash to pay down my car loan.

So the earliest I see myself getting an HDTV is this time next year. So, while I will have to deal with 480lol for at least another year, in that time HDTV's will get cheaper and better.

Of course, when I get it I will post pictures.
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

I recommend the 37" and here is why.

In a store side by side Of course you can see the size difference. You can also see the difference on the price tag.

At home by itself you cannot tell the difference between a 37" and a 42", thus the price difference becomes negligible. Now if you can get the same quality 42" for little to no difference in price, then go with the 42".

However the one thing I cannot stress enough are the cables. I cannot count the number of people I know who ran out bought a brand new HD, spend a couple grand on it, then used the cables in the box and stood around wondering why the picture looked just like their old TV. People who visit me all the time many of which have the same TV are floored at how much better my picture looks then theirs. Most of them were swearing something was wrong with their tv, until I told them flat out Buy the new cables and see the difference for yourself. If that does not make a difference return them. I dislike the fact you have to purchase high quality cables seperately, I mean good god if you just paid $3000 the least they could do is give you cables that do not suck. However since they obviously are not, just gotta suck it up and buy them. :o
Kistala
Tomcat

Post by Kistala »

Sugami wrote:I hate Sony for killing off Sega (pretty much) :lol:
It's Microsoft that did that. The end of Sega's Dreamcast system corresponded to the release of the XBox, not that of the PS2. The market can support roughly three major console companies. When the Playstation came in it was the NeoGeo and Atari Jaguar that suffered and died.

Anyways, I'm not going to get a PS3 until I am absolutely certain I can play FFXI on it, be it through backwards compatibility with the PS2 version, or a new PS3 release of FFXI.
"Don't take life too seriously, you can't get out of it alive."

Currently: PLD69/WAR34 tank
PLD69/RDM34 soloer
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Well, I have a 360, and I may buy the PS3. But im keeping my regular TV. Medium Sized, and I can still play and have fun :lol:
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

"If I could have a bot program. I'd have an Auto-Tarupunt one. You know. As soon as you go AFK it punts all taru within the area. Priceless" ~ Blackwing of Phoenix Server
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Kistala wrote:
It's Microsoft that did that. The end of Sega's Dreamcast system corresponded to the release of the XBox, not that of the PS2. The market can support roughly three major console companies. When the Playstation came in it was the NeoGeo and Atari Jaguar that suffered and died.
Nuh-huh. I had a Dreamcast little before SEGA announced they'll stop making it (2nd hand). The PS2 came out shortly after DC and the number of DCs that were on ebay as "unwanted presents" was phonominal, XBox came along long after SEGA threw in the towel.

In all fairness the NeoGeo and Jaguar were on the path to death long before PS2 was on the scene, they were barely heard of over here in the UK.
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Post by ScarlettPheonix »

Well, "shortly after" is a matter of opinion I guess. The Dreamcast was released in Sep 1999 in the US (Nov '98 in Japan). The PS2 didn't come out in the US until March of 2000~ 6 months later.

Speaking from personal experience- I had friends who put off getting a Dreamcast because the PS2 would be out within a year so they decided to wait to see how that was before getting a Dreamcast and then they just stayed with the PS2. Rightly or wrongly the PS2 was just considered to be a better game console and thats what people went too.

Dreamcast just didn't catch on, blame the marketing, blame the public perception, blame Sony, whatever- In my opinion, Sega had been on a downward slope in consoles long before Dreamcast came out and it just wasn't enough to save their portion of the market.
[img]http://www.geocities.com/fieryscarlettpheonix/1job18subs.jpg[/img]
[color=darkred][i]Red Mage[/i][/color]
Windurst 10/ZM14/PM [i]finis[/i]/ToAU [i]finis[/i]/SGT(P)/WotG [i]Emblem of the Holy Knight §§§§[/i]

[url=http://scarlett-insertwittytitlehere.blogspot.com/]My not interesting at all blog[/url]
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

I was a big sega fan back in the day, However lets be honest here.

There is a good deal more to the name "Dreamcast" then just another name for a console. Sega was on the way out when they released it, it was launched in the hopes of salvaging the console market for them. It was a dream and unfortunately it became just another failed dream.
Tinacat
Feral Cat

Post by Tinacat »

...paying 400+ dollars on a new system that requires you to go out and rebuy the same movie just for slightly better graphics?
Require?!??
I guess you dont relize that blue-ray and HD-DVD players are backwards compatable with DVDs. No need to re-buy your movies, and with me saying this, i just killed off the last 1 1/2 pages of this thread
Cardian > puppets
[img]http://www.apricotsoft.com/~mimora/star_/ff11/05out1/05out1_006.jpg[/img]
so great being a grey haired Mithra THF
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Sadly the Dreamcast suffered from the Saturn being crappy ontop of bad marketing. It introduced net gaming to consoles and had a cool VMU (Visual Memory Unit), graphics were as good as if not better than PS2 and it supported 4 controllers :oops:

Again IMO a better console than crappy PS2.
Kistala
Tomcat

Post by Kistala »

Sugami wrote:
Kistala wrote:
Nuh-huh. I had a Dreamcast little before SEGA announced they'll stop making it (2nd hand). The PS2 came out shortly after DC and the number of DCs that were on ebay as "unwanted presents" was phonominal, XBox came along long after SEGA threw in the towel.

In all fairness the NeoGeo and Jaguar were on the path to death long before PS2 was on the scene, they were barely heard of over here in the UK.
Actually, I meant the original PlayStation console system, not the PS2, that spelled the end for NeoGeo and Jaguar.
"Don't take life too seriously, you can't get out of it alive."

Currently: PLD69/WAR34 tank
PLD69/RDM34 soloer
Tinacat
Feral Cat

Post by Tinacat »

The thing that killed NeoGeo, was the price since you were basicly buying a miniture arcade deck, which is actualy true, cause if you had one of SNK's arcade decks, you could interchange the games with the same cartriges. The console was like $750 for whenever it came out and the cartriges were $250, and that is in the early-mid 90's money.

Jaguar also was stupidly priced, also, i hear.
Cardian > puppets
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

It is true price played a major factor in the demise of the neo-geo and jaguar, however the one thing the Saturn, Dreamcast, Jaguar, and Neo-Geo all share in common that is the true reason they died?

Lack of a reasonable volume of Good games. Now Neo-Geo was so crazy it was destined to fail good games or not, but in the end it can be pointed out to game library.
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Games make the system. Right now I would love to get a PSP because there are four games on it I want (Valkyrie Profile, the two Mega Man games, and GTA: Vice City Stories) but if that ends up being all that's worth playing on it (Outside of homebrew) then I see no reason to buy a PSP.

Games is why the PS2 succeeded. You name a genre and I can name at least a dozen games for that genre on PS2. Xbox...sports and FPS mainly. Gamecube? Lotsa third-party crap with the handful of Nintendo first-party games.

Its like those Genesis vs. SNES commercials that ran back in the early 90's where they'd show a row of SNES games and the announcer said something like "Get an SNES and pick from these games" then showed a longer row of Genesis games and said "Get a Genesis and get to play all these games." Thing is the SNES was barely six months old when that commercial aired so yeah...it had a crappy game selection and the Genesis was about two years old at that point (I think) so naturally it would have more games.

The point is the SNES, which was more powerful because it wasn't rushed out to make up for poor NES sales (The Master System just sucked) and wasn't bogged down by crappy peripherals (Super Scope & Mario Paint > Sega CD & 32X) made up for its initial shortcomings in the long run by producing an impressive library of excellent RPG's, second only to the PlayStation.

So far Microsoft seems to be in the same position that Sony was back in 2001. Good console with some good software is entering into the holiday season (KMA Bill O'Reilly) and will be competing against a cheaper yet more accessible to the masses game console and a console that has far more raw power then their own.

As we all know, as time went on the more powerful console (Xbox) lost out to the less powerful but better established console (PlayStation 2) because PS2 had the games. If Microsoft can deliver the games then they can become the PS2 of this console cycle.

Then again, the Wii could surprise everyone and "trojan horse" its way into our homes and hearts.
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

SNES and Genesis (AKA MegaDrive) were both great consoles. From what I remember the majority of the games were on both systems anyways, only stuff like Mario and Sonic that weren't :oops:

I dunno the exact figures but I bet there wasn't too much between XBox and PS2, I'd say both were successful but I'm pretty sure the GameCube was lagging behind quite a bit.

I feel the same will be true for the Wii but there will always be a market for it (under 10s :P) so Nintendo should still be kept alive but seriously doubt it'll out-do the other 2 systems.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Microsoft has a Big If in front of them.

It is not just that they have to have a large selection of great games, but they must have a large group of exclusive games. Exclusivity is the key here because with the PS2, you have a very large fan base and a couple of specific titles that control large portions of that fan base that are exclusive to sony. So MS has to give huge incentives to those groups if they want to encourage those groups away from sony exclusivity.

The Final fantasy fans are one of those groups, they make up a very hefty portion of the PS2 fanbase, and MS has their work cut out for them if they want a piece of that pie. FFXI on 360 was a step, but FFXI was but a fraction of the console exclusive fans.

Vista interoperability is another step, This has piqued my interest in the 360 for the first time ever. If that turns out to be everything they say it will be, that will go a long way to me considering buying a 360 and a live membership.

Nintendo has a much harder road ahead of them, they simply are not taken seriously by most older gamers any longer. Nintendo lets be honest lost a great deal of the credibility during the gamecube years with the older generation that grew up when NES first launched. I think Nintendo is going to sell the hell out of the wii, I will buy one for certain. However that is not where they make their money, they make it off the games. And while I plan on buying one I will only load up on games if they give me games that are worth buying.
Primary disadvantage is the hardware is clearly less powerful then the PS3, so nintendo MUST have a broad variety of exclusive game titles. Reasoning is simple, If I own a Ps3 and Wii and there is a game out that is available on both which will I buy? Clearly the one on the more powerful system, that is a easy decision. Zelda Twilight princess is a good start.

the Wii-mote MUST prove itself to Not be another gimmick. Nintendo has a very bad stereotype to overcome due to the massive debacle surrounding the virtua boy, Rob, powerglove..the name. Right now I am skeptical about their ability to do this. I have a friend who is a manager with Gamestop/EB he got to play a Wii. He is a huge nintendo junkie and was enamored with the remote...He walked away bitterly disappointed, he is now in my boat of demanding that a normal controller be a legitimate option.

It is going to be interesting to watch for sure, 2007 will be a year of separation that is no doubt.
Tinacat
Feral Cat

Post by Tinacat »

I just reserved a PS3 game, Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire, even though i will not get a chance to get the PS3 anytime soon.
Cardian > puppets
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Looks very shiney :D

Think Nintendo lost it around the N64, GameCube was a step in the right direction but games were still too childish for my liking. Still hated their controllers :oops:

I think most XBox fanatics get it for Halo and Project Gothem Racing, two games I don't really like much. Prospect of Halo 3 makes those 12yr olds soil themselves and PGR3 is icing on the cake, though owning PGR2 before and now PGR3 I don't really care for it much but yet to really play it I guess ^^;
It was Team Ninja with DOA and Ninja Gaiden that drew me towards Xbox more than anything else. DOA4, though very hard, is very sweet and the prospect of Ninja Gaiden 2 down the line is very tastey.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

The Problem Nintendo has, started with our Generation. As Kids, we were phasing from/to the failure of the industry the first time. The NES came along and wow, you know, we didnt have fancy flashy graphics, we had 8bit sprites. We didnt care about anything but gameplay. But in the race for technology that was lost.

But Nintendo achieved one other problem. They were stereotyped as a kiddie system. Now, White Nintendo themselves said, "We really don't want to be called a kiddie machine, we like to think we're about gaming for all ages.", they Didn't do a damn thing to shake the kiddie image. They refuse to put a huge variety of "M" rated games becuase it destroys the Image they didnt want to be stereotyped with.

Gee That makes a lot of sense doesnt it? It doesnt? Then someone please explain why Nintendo has b*tched about being a "Kiddie" system and done NOTHING about it?
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Sakino
Big Cat

Post by Sakino »

Yeah I remember when Nintendo would edit everything in their games (for the US anyways).

Most of the FF games were edited according to their policy. Words like "temple" were changed to "clinic". "wine" was changed to "grape juice". "death" or "killed" was changed to "fell down" or "knocked out". They took pride in their censorship back in the day.
Ph33r th3 b4rd!

[img]http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/4166/131035531942hl.gif[/img]

"Wealth is an illusion, power is fleeting, but tuna... tuna is REAL!" - Brynmor of Phoenix
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Something that was mentioned on the 1up podcast that I think is relevant to this is the whole "Games for Windows" thing. If Microsoft actually does develop a way for games to run on Vista and Xbox 360/720 (Guessing on Xbox 3rd gen being 720) then they will have an advantage over Sony because they can say "Hey, look. We know you're taking a risk here but if you develop for us you get both a console and the PC market." That could hurt Sony because with games now costing $10-20 million to develop and with that cost going higher they will look for ways to get the most bang for their buck.

Keep in mind that Microsoft could totally f*** this up but if they don't they could steal a lot of those developers from Sony.

Another thing I wanted to bring up is the fact that in EGM Factor 5 talked about how the levels in Lair are 5 Gig's a piece and how it runs in 1080p and about how detailed it is and how none of this would be impossible on Xbox 360 since it uses DVD-9 and doesn't have an 8 Core processor and all that but here's a point I think needs to be brought up: Would you rather have the game focus on teh pretty or have a game with smart AI that adapts in real time to your strategies so that you're actually challenged? No matter how pretty Lair is if I find a trick to take out enemy dragons that works every time it will get boring pretty fast.

Not knocking them for making a pretty game, just addressing the attitude that pretty is all gamers care about. I care more about being challenged. I want AI to within vision range to see how easy I took out his buddy and watch for that move so I can't use it again. That will make for a fun and truly re-playable game.

Another thing...5Gig's a level? So, they have 4-5 levels in a $60 game on a $500-600 console??? Even as a launch title I expect a little more meat than that. Maybe its because I like racing games and RPG's but if I don't get at least 40 hours of gameplay and/or some incentive to go back and re-do most of the game I feel ripped off.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

It depends on how they define a level. If a level is complex enough that it takes numerous saves and 8-10 hours to complete then 4 to 5 levels is more then enough. It just really depends on how linear the level is for a comparison think FFVII vs FFX. In 7 you could wander around and do all kinds of things that had little to do with progressing the main story, X it was pretty hard to get off the chosen path.
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

I'm just wondering if the massive size of the levels is due to the great level of detail put in the levels. Like, the levels are OK size but the size of information is needed for the detail and for the massive amount of enemy AI needed which makes me wonder why not just reuse information? I am beginning to wonder if these developers aren't just making these games that massive just because they can. Also, will the power of the PS3 bring about the end of FMV? With the power of the system you could easily make your cutscenes in-engine and also show your character customized, like what FFXI does.

One thing I am wondering, though is this and anyone who buys a PS3 for themselves or knows someone who is getting one for themselves please answer this question for me: As you can see in the picture below on the lip of the system there is an on/off marking and an eject marking. What I wanna know is do you touch those markings to activate those functions?

Pic here:

Seems to make the most sense to me.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

I believe it is a touch button yes, unsure till I get one however.

As to the answer to your question, please do a google search for White knight trailers for PS3 and watch it in HD. Gametrailers has the best version.

Or rather..here
http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?fs=1&id=3241
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: PS3 Preorders

Post by xaresity »