For the THFs out there

A place to talk about... anything!
Okuza
Feral Cat

Post by Okuza »

Kintrra wrote:I know NIN75s with the uber-gear can slam out some vicious Jin's
If you saw my gear, you wouldn't say that; you'd probably snicker. :(

It's really nothing very special. I'm missing LOTS of stuff. Still need dusk hands and swift belt for speed build. You're right about haste being very nice for dps; I just think it's even nicer for recast timing. No sky gear at all. My ws set is just odds and ends to shift to up STR/dex modifiers a bit. I do have the sea gorget, but my tests on that didn't show a big increase in WS size, just a large decrease in variance; ie. no more little numbers.

The best gear option for DPS is, of course, to equip a BRD. Too bad AH is usually sold out of BRDs. I could use a stack or two of HQ BRD+1s.

--

BTW, IMHO, the real boost for WS comes a lot more from starting to fight things that are DC/VT rather than from gear or merits. For instance, I tanked some Yovra the other day on NIN. The "little" ones are 82, which I think is about VT'ish. My jins hit for right in the 500-600 range. The big ones are 87, which is IT++. My jins were around 300 on that.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Okuza wrote:I do have the sea gorget, but my tests on that didn't show a big increase in WS size, just a large decrease in variance; ie. no more little numbers.
You probably already know this but those little numbers are when you miss one or two hits. Sea gorgets increase accuracy and attack for WS with the corresponding elements, I'm guessing the accuracy boost is a lot more noticable than the attack boost.

I don't need to mention how broken single handed weapon damage is and it really shows on anything that isn't IT. Jin's 3-hits with chance to critical with more TP and of course there's the chance Double Attack triggers. It's the same formula for Rampage just has 2 less hits and a higher multiplier for the first hit.

At 75 I've seen NINs who fail to get below 500 on each Jin, sometimes over 1000 too but last I played with a 71/72 NIN his Jins were averaging 300. 75 makes everything better apparently :?
Okuza
Feral Cat

Post by Okuza »

Sugami wrote:Sea gorgets increase accuracy and attack for WS with the corresponding elements, I'm guessing the accuracy boost is a lot more noticable than the attack boost.
A lot of testing has been done on these elsewhere. What I read was that only the first hit of a multiple-hit WS is effected by the gorget. I read some comparisons between the sea gorgets and sea torques (+7 weapon skill). The findings all seem to show that the gorgets are better even for multi-hit WS, though only by a very tiny bit.

So, my guess is that the sea gorget is effectively +10 skill (+10 acc&atk). Personally, if I ever get a torque, I'm pitching the gorget into storage. The difference is almost unmeasurably tiny and my inventory is already 60/60 when playing NIN. Any item that reduces inventory falls into the amazingly nice category. ^~
Eviticus
'Insignificant Adventurer'

Post by Eviticus »

Love Torque ftw.
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.
Paragon of Dragoon Excellence.
Paragon of Bard Excellence.
Paragon of Puppetmaster Excellence.
[quote="Keavy"]Evi still winnarz.[/quote]

[img]http://e.1asphost.com/AJSB1986/wyv-burn.jpg[/img]
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

I know a lot of DRGs that swear by theirs, say it allows them to land all 5 hits of Penta Thrust with little accuracy gear on and Penta is notoriously inaccurate :oops:
Darkmattre
Big Cat

Post by Darkmattre »

not sure if it's mentioned yet... but there are times where for some reason, a bard will take the trick attack even though they're standing beside the mob and the thief is either in front or behind.

In my experience though, tanks know not to move around when there's a thf, and if the bard runs in front of the tank, that's their problem, lol. Its funny to see it happen when the skillchain has started (thf usually closes) so it's obvious the thf is looking to SATA, and still the bard runs in front.
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/Darkmattre/deadlybackwhite-1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.darknessfalls.net/upload/upload_files/tiele.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/Darkmattre/ninex.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/Darkmattre/whmex.jpg[/img]
http://hosted.filefront.com/Darkmattre
Tinacat
Feral Cat

Post by Tinacat »

a bard will take the trick attack even though they're standing beside the mob and the thief is either in front or behind.
That bug was suppose to be taken care of like over a year ago.
Cardian > puppets
[img]http://www.apricotsoft.com/~mimora/star_/ff11/05out1/05out1_006.jpg[/img]
so great being a grey haired Mithra THF
Okuza
Feral Cat

Post by Okuza »

Actually, it's a relic of the old fuidama behavior. Anyone that played THF near release and learned it can still sort of do a fuidama. The way it worked was that whoever the thf was facing would get the trick agro -- as long as that person was closer to critter than thf. The person did NOT need to be between thf and critter. Also, back then the sneak-angle was about 220 degrees. As long as the critter couldn't see you, you could land a sneak from almost in front of it. Hmm, ascii art might fail here:

Tank> <critter
..............<thf SATA critter, but points at tank

These days you can't point at someone on the other side of the critter and still have trick attack work. BUT, you can still point at someone off to the side/behind. Try it sometime -- the person you face gets the agro, not the person directly in the line of attack. Sometimes I do it for fun in a skill-up party to someone that is obviously trying to avoid SATA just to watch them jump. "Omg, I thought they fixed that bug. You weren't even in front of me!" :lol:
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: For the THFs out there

Post by xaresity »

xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: For the THFs out there

Post by xaresity »

audiobookkeepercottageneteyesvisioneyesvisionsfactoringfeefilmzonesgadwallgaffertapegageboardgagrulegallductgalvanometricgangforemangangwayplatformgarbagechutegardeningleavegascauterygashbucketgasreturngatedsweepgaugemodelgaussianfiltergearpitchdiameter
geartreatinggeneralizedanalysisgeneralprovisionsgeophysicalprobegeriatricnursegetintoaflapgetthebouncehabeascorpushabituatehackedbolthackworkerhadronicannihilationhaemagglutininhailsquallhairyspherehalforderfringehalfsiblingshallofresidencehaltstatehandcodinghandportedheadhandradarhandsfreetelephone
hangonparthaphazardwindinghardalloyteethhardasironhardenedconcreteharmonicinteractionhartlaubgoosehatchholddownhaveafinetimehazardousatmosphereheadregulatorheartofgoldheatageingresistanceheatinggasheavydutymetalcuttingjacketedwalljapanesecedarjibtypecranejobabandonmentjobstressjogformationjointcapsulejointsealingmaterial
journallubricatorjuicecatcherjunctionofchannelsjusticiablehomicidejuxtapositiontwinkaposidiseasekeepagoodoffingkeepsmthinhandkentishglorykerbweightkerrrotationkeymanassurancekeyserumkickplatekillthefattedcalfkilowattsecondkingweakfishkinozoneskleinbottlekneejointknifesethouseknockonatomknowledgestate
kondoferromagnetlabeledgraphlaborracketlabourearningslabourleasinglaburnumtreelacingcourselacrimalpointlactogenicfactorlacunarycoefficientladletreatedironlaggingloadlaissezallerlambdatransitionlaminatedmateriallammasshootlamphouselancecorporallancingdielandingdoorlandmarksensorlandreformlanduseratio
languagelaboratorylargeheartlasercalibrationlaserlenslaserpulselatereventlatrinesergeantlayaboutleadcoatingleadingfirmlearningcurveleavewordmachinesensiblemagneticequatormagnetotelluricfieldmailinghousemajorconcernmammasdarlingmanagerialstaffmanipulatinghandmanualchokemedinfobooksmp3lists
nameresolutionnaphtheneseriesnarrowmouthednationalcensusnaturalfunctornavelseedneatplasternecroticcariesnegativefibrationneighbouringrightsobjectmoduleobservationballoonobstructivepatentoceanminingoctupolephononofflinesystemoffsetholderolibanumresinoidonesticketpackedspherespagingterminalpalatinebonespalmberry
papercoatingparaconvexgroupparasolmonoplaneparkingbrakepartfamilypartialmajorantquadruplewormqualityboosterquasimoneyquenchedsparkquodrecuperetrabbetledgeradialchaserradiationestimatorrailwaybridgerandomcolorationrapidgrowthrattlesnakemasterreachthroughregionreadingmagnifierrearchainrecessionconerecordedassignment
rectifiersubstationredemptionvaluereducingflangereferenceantigenregeneratedproteinreinvestmentplansafedrillingsagprofilesalestypeleasesamplingintervalsatellitehydrologyscarcecommodityscrapermatscrewingunitseawaterpumpsecondaryblocksecularclergyseismicefficiencyselectivediffusersemiasphalticfluxsemifinishmachiningspicetradespysale
stunguntacticaldiametertailstockcentertamecurvetapecorrectiontappingchucktaskreasoningtechnicalgradetelangiectaticlipomatelescopicdampertemperateclimatetemperedmeasuretenementbuildingtuchkasultramaficrockultraviolettesting