Wii

A place to talk about... anything!
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Wii

Post by Pheonixhawk »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0aXYQky ... endo%20Wii

Thats more than enough to want to make me buy this system. I can't wait till it comes out. :)
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

"If I could have a bot program. I'd have an Auto-Tarupunt one. You know. As soon as you go AFK it punts all taru within the area. Priceless" ~ Blackwing of Phoenix Server
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

yes I agree :p although they where over acting a bit when they recordec this, but it was to get the point of imersity across :p

it will be the only Next gen system I guy for a while, PS3 and 360 can kill my ass at their currnt prices
Cecil-FFIV: I'm just a knight with no courage to disobey his Majesty.....
Kain-FFIV: I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.....
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

I'm not sure who said this since I have spent pretty much every waking moment on every English-text gaming site on the net since Tuesday but here's what I wanna say:

A lot of people have been commenting that the Wii games all look like GameCube games and the reason is that Nintendo wasn't able to get the Wii Dev kits out in time for E3 so people have been using the GameCube Dev kits for gameplay footage and screenshots.

At SpaceWorld we'll get a better idea of what the Wii is capable of Graphics-wise and will most likely get a price, release date, and more of a launch lineup than "Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess."
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

My only prayer to god is that some third party offers a normal controller.
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

Tivia wrote:My only prayer to god is that some third party offers a normal controller.
there is no normal controler, both parts of the Nuncku controler have gyro in them, so both parts act as the two analog sticks on the PS2

there are other things being made to replace the left half of the controler, addons to change for diffrent games and such, the addons will not be required but will be a nice aternative

Gun addon concept
http://cube.ign.com/articles/653/653867p1.html
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

I can see the controls being clumbsy and awkward for some games... have to wait and see, I myself probably won't like those weirdass controllers much but my friend will get one so I'll find out then.

Anyone see Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicals 2 in there? I did :) That's one game I'm looking forward to :)
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

The controls are supposed to be pretty intuitive and to be honest, I see the Wii going the same route as the DS. At first, we'll see people playing around with the feature, making gimmicky games, then once they get the hang of making games for it we'll see the truly innovative software that utilizes the Wii controls as they were meant to be used.

That is when the system will be a "Must-have" simply because there will be no way to make a port of those gams that captures the feel that the Wii gives.
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

You also have to remember there is a market segment that are not interested in many if any games coming out for Wii, so the controller is at best a major irritation. I fall into that market, I am purchasing the Wii for the sole reason of being able to download older games and have them all accessable on one console. Thus the controller for me is neither innovative or neat, it is an undesired irritation to the way I want to play those games. Hence why I will be more then a little annoyed if there is not an alternate controller for it.

This is a Case where while Sony might have stole the idea, they are the only one who got it right. They built in the functionality, however they kept the controller otherwise fully functional and familiar.
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

Nintendo is not stupid, they are makeing a controler that is designed for the emulation and GC games, so you ahve nothign to worrie about and you can still use GC controler anyway -.- so there is not problem, plus you can sit there and call the controler a faiure when you ahve not even touched one, oh and the PS3 did not get the gyroi right at all.... it will only have one gyro....the Wii has 2 built in the controler set.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Kailea wrote:Nintendo is not stupid, they are makeing a controler that is designed for the emulation and GC games, so you ahve nothign to worrie about and you can still use GC controler anyway -.- so there is not problem, plus you can sit there and call the controler a faiure when you ahve not even touched one, oh and the PS3 did not get the gyroi right at all.... it will only have one gyro....the Wii has 2 built in the controler set.
I was unaware you could use the GC controller with the Wii, that I can live with.

I never called the controller a failure, I said I feel forcing it down people's throat without an alternative is a bad idea. So long as there is an alternative It is fine. It would be better if they included an Alternate with the system instead of forcing those of us without interest in the unit to purchase it. Speculation is nice, but given nintendo's history with "Innovative" products actually working as described, Sorry if I sound more then a bit skeptical. But I am afraid I was there for Rob..Virtuaboy and everything else "Innovative" they have done since the 80s. I simply like my console gaming in a particular manner and at this point I am beyond being even remotely interested in a gadget better left as an add on.

1 Gyro, 2 gyros depending on the complexity of the gyro it could be a meaningful difference, it could be no difference. Point was, for those with no interest in that particular functionality, Sony did it right by sticking with a controller that is useful to Everyone, not alienating those uninterested in the latest fad. Sony gives you the option out of the box, nintendo is going to make you pay for it.
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

lol I was there for Rob and V-boy too -.- yeah those where..... yeah I am just going to say it, they sucked lol, but I had fun with the V-boy...but it was the only system ever to give me a headake lol

and nintendo has not decided if they will inclue one of each controler, or not since GC controler works too, so really I am not seeing anything being forced
Gyoenastaader
Kitten

Post by Gyoenastaader »

Kailea wrote: there is no normal controler...
Ummm . . .

Jobs- 57 Blackmage, 52 Warrior, 32 Thief, 30 Whitemage, 22 Dragoon, 22 Samurai
Stockyboy
Big Cat

Post by Stockyboy »

Looks like the old mega drive controler >_>a
Mr. T pitties the fool, Chuck Norris rips the fool's head off, I /poke the fool.
Haubegeon: O
Hauberk: O
Drk75/War43/Nin60/Blm37/Thf37(DONE YES!)/Whm32/Drg22/Smn16/Rdm66/Bst18/Mnk10/Brd33/Pld11
All others not unlocked or not leveled ^^^
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c302/stockyboy/USSRallyourcookie-1.png[/img]
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Wow a normal-ish looking controller, I am impressed :lol:
You'll need that for almost all the games that are multiplatform (unless the developers make a special way to play with the new controller doodars).

What is/was the "Rob"?
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

Sugami wrote:Wow a normal-ish looking controller, I am impressed :lol:
You'll need that for almost all the games that are multiplatform (unless the developers make a special way to play with the new controller doodars).

What is/was the "Rob"?

Rob was this little robot that could "see" the TV screen and play special games with you

Info on Rob the family robot :p
http://www.gamersgraveyard.com/reposito ... s/rob.html
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Gyoenastaader wrote:
Ummm . . .

That I can live with..I still prefer the GC style over it but considering the alternative I won't complain.

Needs to be wireless though at the least.
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Tivia wrote:
Gyoenastaader wrote:
Ummm . . .

That I can live with..I still prefer the GC style over it but considering the alternative I won't complain.

Needs to be wireless though at the least.
It connects into the WiiMote which is Wireless.

P.S. Sugami, that comic was sad but true.

P.P.S. I have a friend who is calling the video game media "No better than Fox News" because everyone is going nuts for the Wii and is kinda "Ehh" about the PS3 (Which he so desperately wants.) So I told him what I will tell you all: Being a video game journalist is like eating peach pie every meal of every day. No matter how much you love peach pie you'll eventually get sick of it. Then along comes something like Wii, or the DS which in my pie metaphor will be cheesecake. THAT is why the game media is going nuts for Wii. Sony's serving peach pie and Nintendo's got cheesecake.
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

For me it's the opposite. I don't like cheesecake but peach pie is win.

As for the controllers, I always prefer wired over wireless. Less latency and no batteries. What more could you ask for?
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

Kopopo wrote:For me it's the opposite. I don't like cheesecake but peach pie is win.

As for the controllers, I always prefer wired over wireless. Less latency and no batteries. What more could you ask for?
useinf Wifi for the controlers and the battery is supost to last a LONG time, and it is rechargable by pluging it into the system, so no latency or battery issuse here :p
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Yeah, the Xbox 360's controller battery lasts 24 hours so since the WiiMote is smaller i'd imagine that it'll last at least as long, if not longer.
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

lol!!!...... go here and do the poll on the right side...... guess who is winning :p

http://slashdot.org/pollBooth.pl
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Bleh just goes to show a lot of people are stupid :P
Oh look! Something new! Lets all jump through hoops and crap like that >.>

That ROB thing looks like a pile of wank, it died the death it should have.
I still think Nintendo is all about the gimmicks; some work and some don't. Only time will tell if this one pays off but it doesn't interest me the slightest.
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

Rechargable devices aren't good for people like me who just toss the controller wherever I want when done. As for latency, that'll always exist, but even moreso with wireless.
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Dont hate against nintendo just because its better. :D
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

"If I could have a bot program. I'd have an Auto-Tarupunt one. You know. As soon as you go AFK it punts all taru within the area. Priceless" ~ Blackwing of Phoenix Server
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

"better" is a matter of opinion (in this case at least)
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

Sugami wrote:"better" is a matter of opinion (in this case at least)
yeah it is an opinion, but you say you dislike the Wii, for one you have not even played it yet -.- this does not aply to PS3 or 360 because it is the same old stuff as before, where as the Wii is trying somethign that differs from the norm. There for it must be tried before debunking it, also Nintendo is not "Kiddy" as you ahve described them -.- Nintendo is family oriented so of course there will be more kid type games on their system then others, but there are plenty of good teen and older games on the system as well, heck the Wii is getting a Resident Evil game all for itself that can not go to any other system because of the use of the controler.

Red Steel
Resident Evil
FF Crystal Cronicals: Crystal Bearers

are not kiddy games -.-
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Crystal Chronicals can not be more kiddy! Have you played the GC game? Overly child-like "chibi" looking characters.

I "dislike" it on principal. I said I'm not impressed with the "gimmicks" and I'm sure I still will feel the same when I get to try it out.

Also refer to another thread about the kiddie thing :P
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

yes I have played the GC FFCC and no it is not a kiddy game, it is very fun to play, and very pretty.

and the new controler is not a "gimmick" it is going to be the new way to paly alot of games, I have watched the interviews at E3 and every one of them says that they liked it, that it was fun to play, and easy to learn.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Kailea wrote:yes I have played the GC FFCC and no it is not a kiddy game, it is very fun to play, and very pretty.

and the new controler is not a "gimmick" it is going to be the new way to paly alot of games, I have watched the interviews at E3 and every one of them says that they liked it, that it was fun to play, and easy to learn.
I have played and beated every single final fantasy ever produced, including the ones for original gameboy. I disagree entirely with the notion that FFCC was not Kiddy. fun yes..but still geared kiddy.

Do not get me wrong, there are a few "kiddy" games I as an adult enjoy. But Overall I resent the fact that the vast majority of nintendo titles today are geared toward the sub 10 age group.

Simply put it is impossible to name more then 5 GC exclusive titles that are geared to kids.