PS3 to have two price points and HDD is standard

A place to talk about... anything!
Keavy
Drunker than thou

PS3 to have two price points and HDD is standard

Post by Keavy »

For $500 you get a 20 GB HDD and for $600 a 60GB HDD.

The controller will be a wireless that looks like the PS2 controller and will copy Nintendo's Wii with motion sensors that will control some games.

November 17th is when it launches in the U.S.

Looks like Sony's selling the PS3 at half its cost which is going to cost them money that they don't have so unless they sell a sh*tload of games they're f***ked.
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Sadira
Tomcat

Post by Sadira »

Sony has always sold their systms for a loss at release. The way I hear it, they make a huge amount of money from game licensing fees since the majority of games are 3rd party.
THF50/NIN25 [color=green]([/color]Mithra[color=red])[/color]

[color=red]Clothcraft: 82.0+2[/color] [color=green]([/color]Adept[color=red])[/color]
[color=blue]Leathercraft: 60.0[/color] [color=green]([/color]Journyman[color=red])[/color]
Goldsmithing: 48.0 [color=green]([/color]Journyman[color=red])[/color]
Smithing: 19.0 [color=green]([/color]Recruit[color=red])[/color]
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

I thought all platforms were sold at a loss.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

wow sony stole Nintendo controler idea at the last minute....thats low and stupid
Cecil-FFIV: I'm just a knight with no courage to disobey his Majesty.....
Kain-FFIV: I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.....
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Tsybil wrote:I thought all platforms were sold at a loss.
They are, but no one has sold a console at half its producing cost. For example: Microsoft loses ~$150 per Xbox 360 sold which isn't that bad. Sony is set to lose ~$500-600 per PS3 sold. Microsoft could afford to take that kind of hit because they have billions of dollars and many areas that are far more profitable to take the hit. Sony isn't in that position so they could end up going broke if people wanting BLU-RAY DVD Players buy the PS3 as a BLU-RAY player.

People said Microsoft was stupid for not including HD-DVD in the Xbox 360 at launch but looking back at the PS2 launch in Japan where most PS2's were used as DVD players (Because they sold for $150 less than a DVD player in Japan) they did make a smart move.

Sony will be in for a rough few years which could allow the Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii to usurp them in the console wars ESPECIALLY if they have the same problem at launch that the PS2 and Xbox 360 had (Not enough consoles to meet demand) and don't forget: This August Xbox 360 will be the only next-gen console with Madden Football. PS3 and Wii will have it at launch, but hard-core Madden fans will want it in August so that may push the 360 sales.

Also, 360's launch titles will be discounted ($20-30) and they will have a whole new batch of games in stores when the PS3 and Wii launch with maybe 10 games each. Couple that with the PS3 having a younger fanbase that doesn't have as much disposable income as 360 fans and Nintendo's assurance that the Wii will be under $300 at launch.

Sony is banking on the "PlayStation" name to sell consoles but with gas selling in the U.S. for $3.30 a gallon and expected to hit $4+ a gallon by November I don't see many people willing or having the means necessary to pay $500-600 for a video game console. As hard-core as a gamer is they know that without a job they can't get their toys and with the shitty mass transit infrastructure here in the U.S. not everyone will be able to cut out that expense.

Overall I see Wii and 360 fighting it out like PS2 and Xbox did this console cycle with PS3 nipping at their heels until its first price drop (Which will hurt Sony more if the technology used doesn't become any cheaper by then.)

In Japan, it will be the DS and PSP all over again.
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

Kailea wrote:wow sony stole Nintendo controler idea at the last minute....thats low and stupid
"Immitation is the most sincere form of flattery." -Nintendo spokeperson on inquiry about Sony's recent move.
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Kopopo wrote:
Kailea wrote:wow sony stole Nintendo controler idea at the last minute....thats low and stupid
"Immitation is the most sincere form of flattery." -Nintendo spokeperson on inquiry about Sony's recent move.
Don't forget Sony's blatant ripoff of Xbox Live and Microtransactions, but of course with Sony it goes well beyond Horse Armor.

Looks like Sony's found a way to make back that $600 per PS3 they're gonna lose: Make FPS players pay for guns, one "Microtransaction" at a time.

P.S. G4, please stop fellating Sony. I want Wii coverage, damnit!!!
Nobodyreal
Housecat

Post by Nobodyreal »

Also, the cheaper version of the PS3 will be crippled in that it won't have:

Built in Wi-fi
SD/memory card support
HDMI Output
[img]http://users.sisna.com/mschild/graphics/ffxisig.jpg[/img]
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

I think Sony have enough loyal fans to keep it alive, I still see PS3 selling more units than the Wii, at least in Europe and America.

So PS2s were being bought as DVD players, even though that's the quickest way to break one :lol: and that was bad because Sony lost many and those people didn't buy the games?
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Japan will be a bloodbath with Wii's in short supply and PS3's collecting dust.

As for the "Loyal fans" a lot of them are younger than the Xbox 360 fans who moaned and groaned at the $400 price point for a Premium package. Sure, this Christmas a few mommies and daddies will get their kid a PS3 but with a best case scenario estimate of 650,000 PS3's in each region by December 31, 2006 there may be just enough to satisfy demand from the early adopters unwilling to pay $1,000 for a BLU-RAY player and those who "Gotta gets the PS3 for the Madden LOLZ!!!!"

If pretty graphics is all you care about, get a PS3. However, for that same price i'll be getting a Wii AND an Xbox 360.
Nekiu
Big Cat

Post by Nekiu »

Im just going to wait 2 years or so before i get any of these new councels =P
[img]http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/5814/mithrafishing2pc.jpg[/img]
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Hehe well I've hated Sony ever since they killed off SEGA, when I get the money I'm getting a 360 :P

As for Graphics I doubt there'll be much difference between all three consoles.
Nivez
Story Cat

Post by Nivez »

Sugami wrote: As for Graphics I doubt there'll be much difference between all three consoles.
xD, you havent done your research then xD
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

Nivez wrote:
Sugami wrote: As for Graphics I doubt there'll be much difference between all three consoles.

there really is not that much diffreance..... yeah the hardware on all three are quite diffrent, but I have seen SS of all three (counting the FFVII demo) and they all look pretty much the same, just diffrent styles
Nivez
Story Cat

Post by Nivez »

Kailea wrote:
Nivez wrote:

there really is not that much diffreance..... yeah the hardware on all three are quite diffrent, but I have seen SS of all three (counting the FFVII demo) and they all look pretty much the same, just diffrent styles
correct, however, these are the first games, you know what the ps2 and xbox games looked like on launch right? compare those to games now, i know just from the hardware what each system is capable of, and am expecting great things from the ps3, because if its game makers to the same thing as they did with the ps2 and make games who are pushing or even breaking the limits of its graphics, then were truly going to see some amazing things.
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

RE4 on the GC looked just as good as any X-box game or PS2 game and it only used 45% of the GCs power lol, so yeah like I said equal
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

XBox and GameCube are pretty similar in graphics, obviously PS2 is lagging behind a fair bit.

Take a look at Soul Calibur 2, GC and XBox look pretty much the same, PS2 sucks :P

Graphically the best game on the XBox to date I would say is Ninja Gaiden, no game comes close to those graphics (besides DOA but made by same people and on same console).
My friend tells me he thinks Time Splitters: Future Perfect looks better on GC than XBox, just depends on how they've been implimented I guess...

I have DOA2U and seen plenty DOA4 trailers, graphically there isn't much in it. Seems like they reached a peak on the XBox, now the only things they seem to add is more on screen stuff and better cloth dynamics but that's just my opinion :P
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

PS2 lacked a major tool that helped the GC and Xbox spit out more pretties and that was Pixel Shaders. Pixel Shaders allow the program to individually texture and manipulate the pixels to very accurately mimic real life. Suddenly light seemed to reflect like it should, cloth had a more realistic softness to it, the ground had bumps and dips, and much much more. The only PS2 game I've seen that came close was Shadow of the Collosus (sp?).
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Yes, but the PS2 had the "Emotion engine."

Don't forget that the PS2 also had a PS1 inside of it whereas the GameCube and Xbox were devoted 100% to their current-gen.

Also, i've noticed this on games like Simpsons: Hit and Run and Psychonauts where the GamCube and Xbox versions flow like buttah and the PS2 version chugs and has numerous graphical glitches.

In 2000 I was a huge Sony fan but after spending over $1,000 replacing broken PS2's while my GameCube and Xbox (Both a year younger) are still running like they did out of the box.

So yeah, I'm now the jaded PS fan that isn't gonna get a PS3 because I really don't wanna spend twice as much over the PS3's lifetime replacing dead PS3's.

IF Ken Kutaragi AND Kaz Hirai (Sp?) came over to my house with a free PS3 and signed a legal document in their own blood swearing that this PS3 would work perfectly for the next five years I would own one.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Heh what about Splinter Cell? The lighting effects on that is truely amazing :) hate to think how the PS2 handled that :lol: was told "badly" :P

PS2 is a bane in my existance, holding back games and leading to crappy ports. Every played Tenchu on the XBox? Great game but the graphics just made me cry.
Not to mention on Live whoever wasn't the host got 2 second lag, it's like playing with a 56K modem. For a stealth game not very handy, you had to be psychic to play it.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Keavy wrote:Yes, but the PS2 had the "Emotion engine."

Don't forget that the PS2 also had a PS1 inside of it whereas the GameCube and Xbox were devoted 100% to their current-gen.

Also, i've noticed this on games like Simpsons: Hit and Run and Psychonauts where the GamCube and Xbox versions flow like buttah and the PS2 version chugs and has numerous graphical glitches.

In 2000 I was a huge Sony fan but after spending over $1,000 replacing broken PS2's while my GameCube and Xbox (Both a year younger) are still running like they did out of the box.

So yeah, I'm now the jaded PS fan that isn't gonna get a PS3 because I really don't wanna spend twice as much over the PS3's lifetime replacing dead PS3's.

IF Ken Kutaragi AND Kaz Hirai (Sp?) came over to my house with a free PS3 and signed a legal document in their own blood swearing that this PS3 would work perfectly for the next five years I would own one.
I hate to point out the obvious here but that is what extended warranties are for.

That unfortunately is the nature of electronics. I buy nothing but Top end hardware for my PC, does that make it immune to failure? Nope.

As for the PS2, I have had mine since perhaps a month or so after they launched, Never had a single flicker out of it. I also know plenty of people who have had numerous Failed Xboxes and Gamecubes..Does that lower my opinion of them? nope I work in the warranty industry I know all too well the fail rate on All Consumer electronics is pretty much the same across the board.
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

there is a diffreance from normalk hardware failer, and a companys poor atempt at building a game system, the problems with the PS2 X-box and the 360 where all due to company error, and called for a recall
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

Tivia wrote:Nope I work in the warranty industry I know all too well the fail rate on All Consumer electronics is pretty much the same across the board.
What's the fail rating on Dells? We use them exclusively here at work because "they are quality machines" despite the fact that every week one dies on me.
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

Kopopo wrote:
Tivia wrote:Nope I work in the warranty industry I know all too well the fail rate on All Consumer electronics is pretty much the same across the board.
What's the fail rating on Dells? We use them exclusively here at work because "they are quality machines" despite the fact that every week one dies on me.
I work as an onsite Dell tech lol, yeah the Dells, like any other PC can and will break alot :p its hardware, but if you use good quality parts, it will be less likey to break on ya :p
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Kopopo wrote:
On the perspective of Business machines, Dells fail no more or less then any other machine.

I see them all pretty much equally Toshiba, Sony, HP, Compaq, Gateway. I cannot say I specifically see any more then the other they all have up and down swings. Right now the current bad laptop for example is the toshiba M and A series, I am getting a ton of those. this time last year I never saw toshiba and it was all Gateway and emachines. Sony are pretty consistant and have a overall low fail rate, the downside with them is they are bad about being propritary and their ability to supply parts is among the worst. Averatec is the worst though, High fail rate currently and impossible to get parts for. We end up refunding people's cash 95% of the time when they have an Averatec.
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

You're an on-site tech, eh? WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU?! I have two dead public machines that I need repaired NOW!

Yes, quality parts make a quality machine, that's why Dell is not quality.
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

Kopopo wrote:You're an on-site tech, eh? WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU?! I have two dead public machines that I need repaired NOW!

lol I work in and around PortArthur TX :p
Kessa
Housecat

Post by Kessa »

Kopopo wrote:You're an on-site tech, eh? WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU?! I have two dead public machines that I need repaired NOW!

The Marine Corps paid to get my Dell Cert's so I can fix our servers w/o voiding the warrenty. If you wanna come by Taquddum, Iraq I will hook you up Kopopo :P
Last edited by Kessa on Thu May 11, 2006 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g11/Shinrasin/Signature/The-Master-Thief.png[/img]
Kessa
Housecat

Post by Kessa »

O and in regards to the graphics between the 3 consoles. PS3 will win out in the end for the sheer amount of data that can be placed in a BLU-RAY vs the other formats.

I think the dual layer blu-ray is 50GB each, thats a crapload of game data. I've had my PS2 since 2001 and its made it from Japan --> California --> Georgia --> North Carolina --> Kuwait --> Iraq --> California --> Afghanistan --> California --> Kuwait --> & now in Iraq. And I have had 0 hardware problems. My xbox and GC broke after a couple moves. They dont handle harsher environments all that well. plus no FFXIII on 360 means there is no reason to buy it.
[img]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g11/Shinrasin/Signature/The-Master-Thief.png[/img]
Kahvi
Krazy Kat

Post by Kahvi »

Kailea wrote:
Kopopo wrote:
I work as an onsite Dell tech lol, yeah the Dells, like any other PC can and will break alot :p its hardware, but if you use good quality parts, it will be less likey to break on ya :p
Thats why i build my own compy. Cant trust big name companies to get the right soul for the computer anyway. And just because its good quality parts, doesnt mean they play well with other good quality parts.
Windurst Rank 10
Fight together, die together, leave no one behind.

[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Kahvi.png[/img][/url]