What ever happened to the old Valkurm *groan*

A place to talk about... anything!
Jaela
Tomcat

Bleh

Post by Jaela »

Pm me if you want to read all my valkrum dunes shenanigans, heres a bit of info before you do:
Ive been playing for 1.5 years
Only 3 jobs are above 25
Valrum dunes is teh reason.
Back to FFXI, Hades! Level 55 Thief! Glee!
[img]http://img293.echo.cx/img293/3043/jaela3ez.jpg[/img]
Blackroses
Tomcat

Post by Blackroses »

Okay so me and Agentblack were partying in Quifim the other day (RDM 22 NOW /CHEER) and I started up a party. It was pretty well rounded with a PLD, RDM, BLM, WHM, DRK, WAR. However our whm decided to crap out on us and there was no whm around for miles. So I got us another tank (RNG) and became main healer. At first things were goin great until the PLD felt we werent gaining enough exp points. He wanted us to kill Giant Gatekeepers the ENTIRE TIME. I tried to explain to him that we chain the lower mobs for steady exp and then kill a Giant to get a SC 5 and get a very nice bonus. (Sometimes up to 350 exp) So he started pulling (which was dumb cause we had the RNG pulling instead of him) So we just barely survived. While us mages were healing MP the Pld looked at our health and said we are good and pulled again despite everyones complains. So me being the in game jerk that I can be (Evil grin) Casted Gravity on the Giant and Bind. While the PLD continued fighting. I waited until the PLD died to cast protect and regen on the main tanks and the BLM backup cured while I healed. I threw Enfeebles with the incredible speed (or not so incredible speed) of Fast Cast and somehow we won :D The PLD was pissed of course and asked how come I didnt heal him instead of enfeebling the Mob. I simply replied if I had done that we all would have died.

So far I am enjoying the RDM job. Its alot of fun. Although tbh I couldnt remember if RDM could do all three (meelee, nuke, heal) but they can and they do it well. :D
*when Pheonixhawk burned in the flames by the hand of the dark warlord Pantsu a new re-incarnation appeared holding a black rose in her hand*

[img]http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/6189/13ls2.jpg[/img]
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Sometimes sacrifices have to be made for the better good. "Leave no man behind" is nice, but if saving one person results in five dying then that's a waste.
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Sylphine
Tomcat

Post by Sylphine »

Blackroses wrote:Okay so me and Agentblack were partying in Quifim the other day (RDM 22 NOW /CHEER) and I started up a party. It was pretty well rounded with a PLD, RDM, BLM, WHM, DRK, WAR. However our whm decided to crap out on us and there was no whm around for miles. So I got us another tank (RNG) and became main healer. At first things were goin great until the PLD felt we werent gaining enough exp points. He wanted us to kill Giant Gatekeepers the ENTIRE TIME. I tried to explain to him that we chain the lower mobs for steady exp and then kill a Giant to get a SC 5 and get a very nice bonus. (Sometimes up to 350 exp) So he started pulling (which was dumb cause we had the RNG pulling instead of him) So we just barely survived. While us mages were healing MP the Pld looked at our health and said we are good and pulled again despite everyones complains. So me being the in game jerk that I can be (Evil grin) Casted Gravity on the Giant and Bind. While the PLD continued fighting. I waited until the PLD died to cast protect and regen on the main tanks and the BLM backup cured while I healed. I threw Enfeebles with the incredible speed (or not so incredible speed) of Fast Cast and somehow we won :D The PLD was pissed of course and asked how come I didnt heal him instead of enfeebling the Mob. I simply replied if I had done that we all would have died.

So far I am enjoying the RDM job. Its alot of fun. Although tbh I couldnt remember if RDM could do all three (meelee, nuke, heal) but they can and they do it well. :D
Meh.....silly PLD. :?:

BTW, A RDM can malee in an exp pt if you're below lv 30, after that there is no place for a malee type RDM. If you want to malee, go and solo it yourself. :( Or you'll find the party a LOT harder since they /blist you in their mind already...
Sylphine on Titan Server...

[url=http://www.mithrapride.org/members/guildmember.cgi?function=prof&name=Sylphine]More Info[/url]

Aw...after 50 leveling becomes more difficult now........
Blackroses
Tomcat

Post by Blackroses »

Thanks. But i really dont melee now anymore unless we are all out of MP, a Tank is gone and the MOB is so close to dead you could chuck a rock at him and poof K/O :lol:
*when Pheonixhawk burned in the flames by the hand of the dark warlord Pantsu a new re-incarnation appeared holding a black rose in her hand*

[img]http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/6189/13ls2.jpg[/img]
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Blackroses wrote:Thanks. But i really dont melee now anymore unless we are all out of MP, a Tank is gone and the MOB is so close to dead you could chuck a rock at him and poof K/O :lol:
Before L 25 a Mithra RDM still does decent damage. From 25 - 30 you still do enough damage to help in the meleeing. I meleed sometimes in some parties Levels 30 - 41, fewer parties from 41 to 60, and now with a static, about one mob in four every party.

I cast my debuffs, swap to melee gear and have at it, cureing as necessary while meleeing.

When your MPs are gone you should be down resting.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Sylphine wrote:Meh.....silly PLD. :?:

BTW, A RDM can malee in an exp pt if you're below lv 30, after that there is no place for a malee type RDM. If you want to malee, go and solo it yourself. :( Or you'll find the party a LOT harder since they /blist you in their mind already...
What you talking about? A RDM can effectively melee and do all the rest up till 50. Only reason I stopped meleeing is 'cause we get no Staff skill. I'd say it's important to keep sword leveled until 50, makes skilling later on easier.
Only time it is unwise for a RDM to melee pre-50 is when main healing but if they can handle it then that's fine. Bottom line is if they can do their job properly and melee then why not?

About the damage a RDM does with sword; close to that of a PLD early on. It gets weaker around garbage shitadel and then more so in the nest but with the right en spell it really does add up.
Anyone who complains about you meleeing you should just tell them to shut up since you're still doing the job. If not then just leave, you can get parties fairly easily once Dispel comes into play and even more with Refresh. No need to put up with moaners who clearly don't know how your job is played.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Sugami wrote:What you talking about? A RDM can effectively melee and do all the rest up till 50.
While I have kept meleeing whenever I can, I cannot argue with the standard argument against meleeing RDMs. The damage we do is not worth the TP we give the mob. One way around this. Fast dagger and En Spells. My Hornetneedle often hits EXP mobs for 0. No damage = no TP. But the En spell hits for 16 if I connect. Then again, no damage = no chance to skill up.
Sugami wrote:Anyone who complains about you meleeing you should just tell them to shut up since you're still doing the job. If not then just leave.
This method works best for RDM/BLM L 34 and up. They KNOW you are just one little warp away from Jeuno. :lol:
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Agentblack
Kitten

Post by Agentblack »

I made a super noob mistake this morning. We were on Quifim and we were fighting crabs (RDM still lvl 22 grrr) and we were doing well. I was enfeebling as usual and thats when it happened. A pug pugil spawned right next to the crab and i used parlyzed on it by mistake. There were no screams, there were no warning. The pugil had spoken. There was only death, and then nothing :oops:
MMORPG: Many Men Online Role Playing Girls
Whoohoo
Kitten

Post by Whoohoo »

I am happy to say I have only partied in the dunes once (and only for about 2k of EXP), but then again I am the odd kitty out though too.

except for about 5K worth of EXP, i have solo'd all my levels so far.

(and WHM is at 31 now, not 30) but then again, since I cannot log on for any amout of time to party, my life is limited to soloing (RL schedule is to hectic and to much unknown)

one of these days, I will be able to log in long enough to get into a party (I hope)

at least I will not have to try to suffer through the dunes, but unfortunatley, whatever party I do get into might suffer due a little since I will be new to partying. I will at least let them know that I am new, but least, I do know how to handle myself, and I do know how to follow directions/take constructive critisizm.

in May, I should be able to get some time in during my vacation, to at least be able to to the Promy runs. Now I just have to raise up RNG for it, and I will have the main jobs (most requested jobs) ready for it.
Maxi - Midgardsormr - RDM 20, BLM 9
Whoohoo - Ragnarok - RDM 45, DRG 25, WHM 31, SAM 20, NIN 25, BRD 20, THF 20, PLD 20, WAR 21, DRK 20, BST 21, RNG 21, SMN 30, MNK 21, BLM 20, PUP 30 (with all upgrades), BLU 31, COR 1
Undine
Tomcat

Post by Undine »

I really don't care much for the dunes myself. I've been there with alot of jobs with my charater on unicorn and now i'm about to hit it with mine on caitsith. I wanna get threw the dunes ASAP before all you start seeing there is Bluemages, pirates, and puppets. If you though the dunes where bad before wait till TOA it will be worse.
Charaters: Undine- Caitsith, Shika- Alexander/Unicorn, Celsius- Cerberus

[url=http://www.nationstates.net/windurst1]Visit the ture windurst ^^![/url]

[img]http://test256.free.fr/UN%20Cards/catgirls4hn.jpg[/img]
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Oh the horror. I dont even want to think about it. I gotta lvl my blm sub still :shock: /panic
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

PUP I know I will level, BLU and COR I will unlock but IDK about leveling but I can tell you this: None of them will see the dunes, EVER!!!
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Tsybil wrote:While I have kept meleeing whenever I can, I cannot argue with the standard argument against meleeing RDMs. The damage we do is not worth the TP we give the mob. One way around this. Fast dagger and En Spells. My Hornetneedle often hits EXP mobs for 0. No damage = no TP. But the En spell hits for 16 if I connect. Then again, no damage = no chance to skill up.
Oh noes you give it tp, cry me a f*cking river. Mobs are pretty weak up to 50 anyway, RDM aren't gifted with great accuracy either so the odd 4% isn't really going to mean much. Stick to what I said, as long as you do your job then go for it. Just don't be retarded and "save TP" instead of healing.

Also I'm pretty sure I got a skillup when I hit for 0 recently whilst skilling sword and dagger on steelshells. *shrug*
Sylphine
Tomcat

Post by Sylphine »

:?: Well........i'm not saying i'm right, but i usually got a pt with japanesse ppl,and they HATE a malee type RDM in their pt.

It's true that a RDM can always go maleeing, but it's just up to the player whether they will go malee or not, that's it.

I myself when in exp pt will malee only when the mob is nearly dead and all other mages have no mp left. Normally, I will malee myself later when i'm waiting for invites to join pt.

btw...in later lv pt, a RDM has a lot more buff and enfeebles to do. That's why most RDM in a later lv pt won't go malee anymore. (but still, there're some noob RDMs do that...enfeeb+MB but rarely cure the fighters)

(Let's see...Haste if the tanker is a NIN, refresh every mages DRK and PLD, enfeeb + debuff the mob, and sometimes has to be the main healer...) :(

I just want to say that what i stated earlier is what i meet with japanese pt myself, but not saying that all i say is right. So worry not about what i say.
Sylphine on Titan Server...

[url=http://www.mithrapride.org/members/guildmember.cgi?function=prof&name=Sylphine]More Info[/url]

Aw...after 50 leveling becomes more difficult now........
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Agentblack wrote:I made a super noob mistake this morning.... A pug pugil spawned right next to the crab and i used parlyzed on it by mistake....
Use Macros, use <bt> in your macros. Similar experiences taught me this one.
Sugami wrote:Just don't be retarded and "save TP" instead of healing.
My Report Macro:
/p MP = <mp>, <mpp>; HP = <hp>; TP = <tp>.
/wait one
/p I neverrr get TP.

:lol:

Heck if I dispell durring melee, I swap in a Staff with the macro, then swap back to melee gear. I neverrr get TP.
Sylphine wrote:i usually got a pt with japanesse ppl,and they HATE a malee type RDM in their pt.

...in later lv pt, a RDM has a lot more buff and enfeebles to do.

Let's see...Haste if the tanker is a NIN, refresh every mages DRK and PLD, enfeeb + debuff the mob, and sometimes has to be the main healer...
The last Japaneese party I was in, lower 60s I think, it was EASY to melee. I did my job and meleed, but as usual with Japaneese parties, no feedback on how I was doing.

A RDM who Melees =/= A Melee type RDM.

Six Enfeebles and four Refreshes and I can still melee occasionally. Haste? Only if there is no WHM in the party, only the Tank, and if I am Main Healer only as an afterthought. If I am Main Healer? Forget about meleeing. In a blender party fast chaining VTs & low ITs, the mob will always die too fast for me to melee even if there are only two Refreshes.

My Priority list: 1, the Refresh Cycle. 2, Debuffing (includes Dispelling). 3, Back up healing. 4, Buffing. (No WHM? All melees get Protect 4 then they all wait till my MPs are full.) 5, Meleeing.

Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

You use a staff for Dispel? It's a garanteed hit there's no point swapping in a certain staff for it :lol:

6 enfeebles? Slow, Para, Blind, Gravity, Bio or Dia... 6th is Poison?
Heh I only give Protect to the tank and backup tank if there is one. Haste only to the NIN.
I'm guessing you do the refresh cycle at same time as debuffing (if not you should :P) takes two debuffs before Refresh is ready.

Only reason RDM stop meleeing is 'cause of the constant staff swapping (I hope at least :P). Any RDM that doesn't have at least 4 staves (Dark, Ice, Earth & Wind) by 60 is a bit of a nub. There is really no time to take out the sword (or dagger) in between all the staff swapping, after all debuffs are cast and I've got my MB in the mob is almost dead or is dead :(
Heck if you land one of those WAR parties or something when the mob is dead before the last debuff :lol: then I'd say why the hell not, go for the melee but at that stage you probably would be lucky if you hit once a mob :lol:
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Sugami wrote:You use a staff for Dispel? It's a garanteed hit there's no point swapping in a certain staff for it :lol:

6 enfeebles? Slow, Para, Blind, Gravity, Bio or Dia... 6th is Poison?
I have had Dispell Resisted, the Dark Staff is in the Macro. The 6th is Frost.

To the best of my knowelege the only spells that cannot be resisted are Bio and Dia, and they can be partially resisted, or at least wear way too soon. I have had Beastmen 25 - 30 levels lower than myself land Dia on me, but it doesn't last hardly at all.

Undine
Tomcat

Post by Undine »

When i'm on uni i usaly am a whm and rdm once and a while. 65-whm, 42 rdm. I don't know why but i seem to perfer pld tanks over nin. when a pld tanks you just have one target to focus on cureing and rarly have to worry the mob will turn (unlessy ou have a tigger happy blm). But with a nin tank hate is just all overt he place and everyone but the nin is taking damage which means more hate for the healer. so when i sit on Unicorn lfp with whm or rdm on my messager you will see {ninja} {meat} {sheild} {no, thanks}

no disrespect to the nins taht do a good job but SE said it themselves Ninja was never made to be the main tank or a tank i think they where made to be a puller or DD class. SE said this back at fan fest.
Charaters: Undine- Caitsith, Shika- Alexander/Unicorn, Celsius- Cerberus

[url=http://www.nationstates.net/windurst1]Visit the ture windurst ^^![/url]

[img]http://test256.free.fr/UN%20Cards/catgirls4hn.jpg[/img]
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Ninjas can be awesome tanks (not this ninja though, I suck :P), they kinda need a THF so they can keep hate but Jin at 60 makes it all better (if the mob isn't too hard) :)

I've never had Dispel resisted in exp, only NMs have resisted. Think those floating eyes do too, they seem to be imune after using an ability of some sort.
Mystiana
Princess Cat

Post by Mystiana »

Tsybil wrote:When they first released SAM they were SUPPOSED to be tanks BTW.
This was proven false at the Q&A panel at the 2006 Fan Festival. SAM were always designed for DD.
[FFX|V] Mystiana Rulean >> BLM iL94 - DRG iL91 - SMN iL93 - SCH iL77
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1463791/
[FFXI] Mystiana@Shiva >> 99 DNC DRG SMN [currently retired]
90+ WAR BLM WHM BST BRD SCH :: 494 Merit Points
Rank 10 for all nations :: Craft: [Cooking: 54][Fishing: 50]
Mystiana
Princess Cat

Post by Mystiana »

Tsybil wrote:I have had Dispell Resisted, the Dark Staff is in the Macro. The 6th is Frost.
What resisted? The only time I've heard of dispel being resisted is when the monster has a magic barrier.
[FFX|V] Mystiana Rulean >> BLM iL94 - DRG iL91 - SMN iL93 - SCH iL77
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1463791/
[FFXI] Mystiana@Shiva >> 99 DNC DRG SMN [currently retired]
90+ WAR BLM WHM BST BRD SCH :: 494 Merit Points
Rank 10 for all nations :: Craft: [Cooking: 54][Fishing: 50]
Dogma
Kitten

Post by Dogma »

Firemyst wrote:
Tsybil wrote:I have had Dispell Resisted, the Dark Staff is in the Macro. The 6th is Frost.
What resisted? The only time I've heard of dispel being resisted is when the monster has a magic barrier.
Ive had a few of Jead's dispels resisted before off of the skellies in KRT
not often, it's a rare thing, maybe cause they are dark based mobs dunno.
maybe once in a 3hr xp fest, dunno how many skellies that is but the chance sure is less than 1% :D

anyways, it s so rare you really have no need to macro something in for it.
Ph3@r ma Slapaga IV n00b!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Well im just glad im out of the dunes (and soon will be out of Quifm too)
and ill have to spend countless hours getting the Kazham keys :)
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

"If I could have a bot program. I'd have an Auto-Tarupunt one. You know. As soon as you go AFK it punts all taru within the area. Priceless" ~ Blackwing of Phoenix Server
Dogma
Kitten

Post by Dogma »

Pheonixhawk wrote:Well im just glad im out of the dunes (and soon will be out of Quifm too)
and ill have to spend countless hours getting the Kazham keys :)
truth be told, I like the dunes, less drama, less stress there.

some of my closest ingame friend I met there as a subless n00b :)
Ph3@r ma Slapaga IV n00b!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

You sure it's resisted and not "has no effect"? If so might just be a glitch considering it happens so infrequently.

And the SAM tanking thing, possibly meant as a relief tank for Warriors but only briefly...
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Sugami wrote:You sure it's resisted and not "has no effect"? If so might just be a glitch considering it happens so infrequently.

And the SAM tanking thing, possibly meant as a relief tank for Warriors but only briefly...
DD's are supposed to have some hate on them. It helps the tank out because if the mob moves then its easier to recover and allows the mage's to do their jobs as well. Its like this massive pool of hate in front of the mobs.
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Great just when I hit lvl 30 and think id never have to see valkurm again (or at least for a while anyway) I forgot I need to lvl my sub. NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU !!!
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

"If I could have a bot program. I'd have an Auto-Tarupunt one. You know. As soon as you go AFK it punts all taru within the area. Priceless" ~ Blackwing of Phoenix Server
Euro
Kitten

Post by Euro »

Bah, the only reason I went back to the dunes to level blm(job I didnt have good experiances with) was cause my friends threated to kill me if I didnt, but hey do what I do, be lazy and not lvl it :?
GIMPED SUBJOB FTW
note: ignore my tip, it doesnt help >_>
#1 rule of MMORPG, never piss off the main healer, we tend to forget you if you do
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

I finnaly decided to Rdm all the way. going as RDM / BLM I just hope the rumors arnt true.
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD