Forum Survival Guide

A place to talk about... anything!
Cyndari
"Illuminatus"

Forum Survival Guide

Post by Cyndari »

Forum Survival Guide

MithraPride is a community, a gathering for people who are playing or have played the game Final Fantasy XI.
This is what these boards are generally about so there are a few things you have to take into account before posting:

1. Community:

To start; be kind to each other. When you have a lot of people in one 'room' you can be certain that not everyone will agree with you.
There will always be people that have another view on certain things then you have. As long as opinions stay within common sense you will have to respect their opinions as they will have to do with your's please do not "provoke" fellow users.
Especially with the well known "problem" subjects you are kindly requested to think about and review your answer before you hit the Post reply button.
If you have a problem with one or a few posts made on these boards please make a post in the Need help section or PM one of the friendly moderators or administrators and let them handle it.
Chance exists that if you reply to the post that poses a problem you might make it worse.

2. Topics & Posting:

-The search function: Before you make a new topic, you might want to search if someone has posted the same topic before.
The search only works to your advantage if you type in the keywords you're looking for correctly.

-Topic titles: When you make a new topic make sure that you give it a good title so that everyone reading it knows what the topic is about.
Also put it in the right section.

- Oneliners: Oneliners mostly do not add much to a discussion, you might want to add a few words or sentences to it to describe what you mean.
Telling what you mean gives more positive replies in most cases.

- Crossposting: When you make a new topic don't go posting the same all over the boards please.
You'll only irritate people and it can never be that that one question belongs to 5 different catagories.
Double topics will be closed or removed when seen by the moderators or administrators.

- Editing posts: You can edit your own posts so it's not needed to post put multiple posts after eachother into one topic when you can edit it into the same post.
The Image button can be found to the top right of the posts you make.

3. Language:

Because the reactions you type are the only way to communicate on a forum it is very important that the people reading it understand what you mean.
Especially when you start a new topic: the better the people understand you the easier it is for them to respond.

- Spelling: Because these are international boards and English is not everyone's native language it might be difficult for some people to say what they mean or use a wrong spelling.
If you have trouble understanding what someone means, feel free to ask and do not "shoot" the person. ;)
But try to use as much correct spelling as possible.

- Please avoid using l33t Sp34|< and BrEeZaH: Some people like playing with their Shift keys while typing. or use numbers instead of letters.
Keep that limited please because |\|0t 3\/3ry0|\|3 c4|\| r34d t|-|15. (not everyone can read this)

- Smilies:Feel free to use smilies! In a text based discussion it's hard to see if someones crying, laughing or is angry. that's why it's important to show how you feel about something.

- Shouting: Don't go out shouting!
How do you shout in a text based discussion? Some might ask themselves.
By using capitals only. A TEXT WRITTEN LIKE THIS CAN BE VERY IRRITATING.
If you want to make something clear it might be better to use a Bold tag (Bold tag open [/b ] close. Without the spaces)

- Dyslexia: Dyslexia is a problem where many people suffer from.
It can happen that someone posts a story or a topic without interpunction, spelling errors and/or other kinds of errors.
It's not nice to keep pointing someone on mistakes.
On the other side when you know you have Dyslexia try to keep your posts short , try to use a text editor with spell check and occasionally use the Enter button.
Most people are willing to read, but in reality; a sea of words without enters and/or interpunction can't be read right and that of course is a shame.

4. Flamewars:

Flamewars add nothing to forums; don't let yourself be provoked.
If a moderator or administrator sees a (potential) flamewar the participators and especially the starters risk a warning or ban.
Also it's no use keeping up ranting if a thread bursts out into a fight about who's right or wrong, if you see a discussion going out of hand please be the wise {cat} and leave it to the board's crew.

5. Your fellow users:

Know who you are talking to. There's a lot of people here that know what they talk about on several subjects.
Advises and tips are not to be bashed.
If you have another view on some advise you may of course share your view, as long as you explain why you do not agree with the others view in friendly and understandable words.

6. Patience:

Be patient, not every post calls for imediate answers.
It can come within one minute but it can also take hours, so do not "bump" your topic every 10 minutes if people do not reply right away.
If you don't have an answer after 24 hours you might want to ask yourself if your subject is that interesting. ;)

7. Bad language:

Everyone feels the need to go out and curse the entire world together sometimes.
The occasional cursing on the bds can be tolerated, but that does not include using cursing towards another poster, that will not be tolerated. The only curse you may not use here is f*** and that really because there is no need for it. If you really feel the need to you may do it in cartoon style or use smilies.
(Example: #@$$^%* or :x :evil: :x )
Abuse of this will result in an immeadiate banning.

8. Moderator's actions:

Moderators are also just visitors, we just have the extra responsibillity to keep the boards a fun place to come to and to clean up messes.
Moderators too are only human and make mistakes, so if there has been an action you don't agree on please don't go ranting up you don't like the action and put the boards vs the crew.
Most things can be resolved by speaking to the mods directly through PM or through the Need help section.
When you do not agree with an action please also explain why you don't.
We from our side will explain why we did it and will try to find a way to keep everyone happy.

9. Extra sidenotes

Advertising:

MithraPride does not allow advertisements of any commercial nature.
If you have a product to advertise please do so in magazines, on TV or other websites that do allow so.
Hit and run posts will be deleted and the user will be banned on spot.
MithraPride does however allow you to advertise your website/work etc. in your profile or signature.

Third party programs and Playonline ToS.

MithraPride will not provide help or support on third party programs.
It is also strictly prohibited to link to or advertise any programs or plugins breaking the Playonline ToS.
We do however allow discussions about them.

Personal Problems

Everybody has personal problems in his or her life.
The Internet is a good place to express them anonymously.
MithraPride does request you to solve your personal problems in private.
If you have a problem with a certain player we also request that you do not bring those problems to the boards.
Topics regarding personal problems or problems with other players will be locked and removed, the starter will also recieve a warning.

Please be courteous of others environments and bandwidth limitations when posting avatars and modifying your signatures. Nothing that would get someone in trouble with parents/school officials/bosses for viewing.
Size limitations:
Signatures: <= 8 lines of text or 4 lines of text plus 1 image of 500w x 200h <= 100KB
We're less concerned with the size than we are with the resolution though.

So there you are, rules regulations for one and all. Thank You to Shirai for coming up with this and Golddess for the extra input. Good Work! :D

2006 Feb 23 - Added avatar and signature information (Golddess)
2009 Feb 04 - Adusted avatar and signature information (Shirai)
[color=blue][b][i]Don't let fear cloud your judgement, for it will hold you back from all of your dreams ;) [/i][/b][/color]
[img]http://www.drowtales.com/~hightreason/chibilaelia.gif[/img] [color=blue][size=200][i][b]Meeooww!!![/b][/i][/size][/color]

WHM - 61 | SMN - 32 | BLM - 21 | THF - 10 | NIN - 7 | BRD - 7 | BST - 7 | SAM - 5 | WAR - 5
Ambrey
Teh Sexeh

Post by Ambrey »

/em raises paw.

Question. I am not implying this is happening or has happened but what if we feel one of the moderators/admins is abusing his/her power or is out of line in someway or even making a member feel targeted or ridiculed in someway? What should be done? :shock:
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Yes i agree with the No Advertising, i mean Its Not Like Black Mage Commands You To advertise For 8bit Theatre, and Remember We're not Ethan! We dont go to www.ctrlaltdel-online.com becuase someone says to. And goshdarnit.... where's my BIG MAC!?

Dun kill me Cyandri I'm jsut being a screwball~ xD :rofl:
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Losfuin
Feral Cat

Post by Losfuin »

It all just seems common-sense, really. It's just sometimes useful to have it actually written down and formalised, in case something happens and a big bad stick of rules is needed. It's probably not going to be, but best that it's there, just in case.
Yukira
Feral Cat

Post by Yukira »

Well written and sensible rules. It's always good to have something concrete to refer to when the need arises. : )
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

As someone who has NEVER learned to spell, how about a spell checker on here? I see them on other boards occasionaly.

Hmmm.... I think I will cross post this in ideas.... :D
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Ambrey wrote:/em raises paw.

Question. I am not implying this is happening or has happened but what if we feel one of the moderators/admins is abusing his/her power or is out of line in someway or even making a member feel targeted or ridiculed in someway? What should be done? :shock:
The best sollution is to PM a mod/admin or make a post about it in the Need help section.
In my eyes abuse of power is something that can not be tolerated.

For this I came up with the following guideline btw.
8. Moderator's actions:

Moderators are also just visitors, we just have the extra responsibillity to keep the boards a fun place to come to and to clean up messes.
Moderators too are only human and make mistakes, so if there has been an action you don't agree on please don't go ranting up you don't like the action and put the boards vs the crew.
Most things can be resolved by speaking to the mods directly through PM or through the Need help section.
When you do not agree with an action please also explain why you don't.
We from our side will explain why we did it and will try to find a way to keep everyone happy.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Cyndari
"Illuminatus"

Post by Cyndari »

I didnt create it just posted it :wink: I agree with what Shirai said, though I would think that as owner and primary admin golddess would be who you go to if you have issues with us. If you have issues with Golddess, I hate to say it like this but you're SOL :lol:
[color=blue][b][i]Don't let fear cloud your judgement, for it will hold you back from all of your dreams ;) [/i][/b][/color]
[img]http://www.drowtales.com/~hightreason/chibilaelia.gif[/img] [color=blue][size=200][i][b]Meeooww!!![/b][/i][/size][/color]

WHM - 61 | SMN - 32 | BLM - 21 | THF - 10 | NIN - 7 | BRD - 7 | BST - 7 | SAM - 5 | WAR - 5
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Losfuin wrote:It all just seems common-sense, really. It's just sometimes useful to have it actually written down and formalised, in case something happens and a big bad stick of rules is needed. It's probably not going to be, but best that it's there, just in case.
That's the whole idea behind this set,
tho it is a big slab of text to read most in it relates to common sense indeed.
Formalized for the people that sometimes forget what that actually means ;)
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Ambrey
Teh Sexeh

Post by Ambrey »

Cyndari wrote:

I didnt create it just posted it :wink: I agree with what Shirai said, though I would think that as owner and primary admin golddess would be who you go to if you have issues with us. If you have issues with Golddess, I hate to say it like this but you're SOL :lol:
Its ok Cyndari, ur doing a fine job at being a mod /em scratches Cyndari behind the ear. But if you get outta line you'll be the first mod kitty that we members take their catnip away from! :lol:
Cyndari
"Illuminatus"

Post by Cyndari »

Ambrey wrote:Its ok Cyndari, ur doing a fine job at being a mod /em scratches Cyndari behind the ear. But if you get outta line you'll be the first mod kitty that we members take their catnip away from! :lol:
No catnip huh? :cry: Oh, and btw I am an admin *reminds Ambrey by reducing post count to 1* :rofl: :twisted: j/k

Ambrey
Teh Sexeh

Post by Ambrey »

Cyndari wrote:
Ambrey wrote:Its ok Cyndari, ur doing a fine job at being a mod /em scratches Cyndari behind the ear. But if you get outta line you'll be the first mod kitty that we members take their catnip away from! :lol:
No catnip huh? :cry: Oh, and btw I am an admin *reminds Ambrey by reducing post count to 1* :rofl: :twisted: j/k
What was that? Kitty need a bath? *gets the fire hose out..* :lol:
Vhanti
Kitten

Post by Vhanti »

lmao :D
"Negotiation is irrelevant; Resistance is futile"

Server Remora
Windhurst
42 Drk, 40 Thf, 37 War, 21 Whm, 20 Pld, 20 Mnk, 20 Rdm, 20 Blm, 15 Rng, 12 Bst, 10 Sam, 1 Nin
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Forum Survival Guide

Post by xaresity »