Bait and Switch

Sadira
Tomcat

Bait and Switch

Post by Sadira »

Is anyone here working on this quest? There's still minimal info on Allakhazam. Rather than posting all the info I'll give the link for the walkthrough: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?f ... =28;page=1

The 7 items choices that Miledo gives you before you start on the switches are listed below along with the numbers of switches and the rewards I got. If you try to pick the ??? then Miledo tells you you're not quite ready for it yet and you have to pick something else. So my guess is that you have to do the quest with all of the other 6 items before you can access the ???. You can repeat the quest once a week.

Scope
Lucky Charm: 8 switches Key Ring belt: Lv. 20 THF DEX+1 "Steal"+1 Dispenses "Skeleton Key" (5 charges) RARE/EX
Pocket Watch: 8 switches Hermes Quencher: Drink, temporarily makes you run faster.
Bard's Harp: 4 switches Prism Powder
Snares
Guardsman ID
???

I've done this quest for 3 weeks so far. I've used the Lucky Charm, Pocket Watch, and Bard's harp. If you read the walkthrough then you know about pressing the switches and getting rid of the guards. You have 3 choices normally: Use Luto, Use Miledo, and Say something clever. If the guard wants to go get a drink then use Miledo. If the guard wants to catch the thiefs then use Luto. So far I know that picking the Lucky Charm or the Bard's Harp will give you a 4th choice that let's you use the item.

One thing I noticed in my 3 times doing the quest so far. When you start the quest you're told to go chase out the friar. The first time you do this quest you infact do see a friar in the cutscene, except of course its Miledo in disguise. Then if you pick the Lucky Charm, like I did the first time, there will be times when you go to press the switch and you'll see the friar in the background. If he's there, you use the Lucky Charm which causes an extra cutscene about the friar.

Anyway, so the 2nd time I go to do the quest, when I go check in the temple, instead of Miledo showing up disguised like the friar, he shows up disguised as a bard. This time I picked the Pocket Watch and finished the quest. The watch didn't have any npc in any of the switch background, then again you can't use the watch as a 4th choice either, but after each switch you see Salim's lackey walk by complaining about his boss and his job.

So on the 3rd time doing the quest, Miledo again shows up as the bard so I get suspicious and decide to do the Bard's Harp. This time in the background for the switch cutscene I can see the bard npc standing to the side and I have the choice to use the Bard's Harp to get rid of the guard. With the npc in the background and the guard that wants a drink I used the harp and you get a choice of 3 songs to sing. The correct song is Childhodd Memories. With the npc in the background and the guard that wants to catch the thief I used the harp and you get a choice of 3 songs to sing. The correct song is the Promotion one. Anyway, like with the Lucky Charm, using the Bard's Harp when the bard was in the background showed me extra cutscenes of him.

I'm betting that if I had picked a different item that on my 4th run of the quest that I can do tomorrow, Miledo still would have shown up as the bard. But now since I used the Bard's Harp and saw the cutscenes involving the bard that this time when Miledo shows up he'll be disguised as something else. Keeping that in mind, I'm wondering if unlocking the ??? choice is more than just completing the other 6 choices. What if Miledo's disguise at the start of the quest tells you what order you should be doing them in? Its just a thought and I guess I won't really know more until I get further along in the quest each week.

If you have any info about the ??? choice then post it here. I will continue to do this quest each week and I'll update this post with the new information.
THF50/NIN25 [color=green]([/color]Mithra[color=red])[/color]

[color=red]Clothcraft: 82.0+2[/color] [color=green]([/color]Adept[color=red])[/color]
[color=blue]Leathercraft: 60.0[/color] [color=green]([/color]Journyman[color=red])[/color]
Goldsmithing: 48.0 [color=green]([/color]Journyman[color=red])[/color]
Smithing: 19.0 [color=green]([/color]Recruit[color=red])[/color]