Spring 2014 Anime Line-up

All your anime and manga needs.
Sugami
Anime cat

Spring 2014 Anime Line-up

Post by Sugami »

I'll try to give my first impressions of the anime I've seen, ignoring sequels/prequels as usual :P

Blade and Soul - Ugh, just another shallow anime with big breasted females. Not even that interesting. On the "nope pile".

Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou - I like this one, high school romcom. I imagine there'll be plenty of feels to come, nice art style. On the "yes pile".

Daimidaler - Comedy eccha mecha series, the main character powers up his mecha by fondling boobs. Mildly amusing, on the "maybe pile".

Captain Earth - Looks like an interesting mecha series, on the "probably pile".

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - Stardust Crusaders - Okay only sequel I'm talking about. Anyone in the know about JoJo knows this is the big one, here's where ZA WARUDO! WRRRRRRRRRY~! all came from. On the "definately pile".

Kamigami no Asobi - Shoujou anime, reverse harem about a human girl having to pick between gods of various mythology. Not all that interesting. On the "nope pile".

La Corda d'Oro Blue Sky - Shoujou anime, reverse harem. Think Uta Pri only replace idols with violinists, gets a bit interesting half way through the episode but still not as good as Uta Pri. On the "maybe pile".

Mahouka - Somewhat interesting anime about a migical highschool set in the future. On the "maybe pile" .

selector infected WIXOSS - CARD GAMES ON MOTORCYCLES! Only reason this is on the "maybe pile" is because of the "living cards" that only certain people can see and the main character's seems somewhat psychotic.

More to come! :P
Sugami
Anime cat

Re: Spring 2014 Anime Line-up

Post by Sugami »

Baby Steps - Comedy sports anime. About a genius high school boy who decides to take up tennis as a means to keep fit but will end up ultimately loving it. My favourite thing about this anime is probably the opening, can clearly see they've recreated Wimbledon. It's pretty funny and interesting, falls under the "tactics and hard work" category rather than "superpowers" a la Prince of Tennis and Kuroko's Basketball. It's on my "probably list".

Brynhildr in the Darkness - Mystery sci-fi anime. I find this one pretty interesting, mildly funny too. On my "probably list". Might be one for Shirai :P

Haikyuu!! - Comedy sports anime. This time netball, about a short kid who loves the game who can jump really high. Pretty amusing, on my "maybe list".

One Week Friends - Slice of life anime. I find this story interesting, boy tries to befriend girl but finds out girl has short term memory loss hence she always pushes people away. Get ready for some feels! On my "yes list".
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Dragon Collection - CARD GAMES ON DRAGONS! Clearly aimed at kids, bet it's based around a card game. On the "nope pile".

Hero Bank - CARD GAMES ON SOME CRAP! *sigh* I got through 5mins of this and gave up, ditto above. "Nope pile".

Seikoku no Dragonar - Fantasy adventure with a hint of ecchi (all females have big boobs). I'm going to spoil the end of the first episode, everyone has dragons (dragon school) other than the main character who at the end of the episode awakes his dragon or "parr", which turns out to be a naked girl... *sigh* Not all that interesting TBH. On the "maybe pile".
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to - Comedy, my only problem is it's a half episoder. Funniest show of the season by far. On the "definitely pile".

Rowdy Sumo Wrestler Matsutaro - Sports anime. Ugh I couldn't get on with the art style, way too old and out-dated looking. On the "nope pile".

Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii - Fantasy, adventure with a hint of comedy. This one is pretty interesting. On the "maybe pile".
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Forgot to put this up http://anichart.net/spring :P

Black Bullet - Action, Mystery, Sci-Fi, Seinen (could be one for Shirai :P). I found this one pretty interesting, bit of comedies in there as well. On the "probably pile".

Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara - Comedy, Romance, School. Have to explain this one a bit, the main character can see "flags" (yes those flags) and also knows how to break them. You'd expect him to abuse this to get his way with the girls but he just uses it to push people away. I like the story and characters and it's hilarious. On the "definitely pile".
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Akuma no Riddle - Action, School, Yuri. Yet to see any "yuri" though. Put a bunch of assassins in one class, tell them to figure out who their target is and see what happens, sounds legit. I like this one so far, sufficiently dark and interesting. On the "probably list".

Fuuun Ishin Dai Shogun - Action, Shounen, Historical, Mecha, Ecchi. Think of it as a cross between your typical warring states era anime, Gundam and your random ecchi anime. Just not all that interesting. On the "nope pile".

Hitsugi no Chaika - Action, Adventure, Comedy , Fantasy. This one's pretty interesting and not every day you'll see a unicorn portrayed in a not-so-cute way then cut in half :P On the "probably pile".

No Game No Life - Adventure, Comedy, Ecchi, Fantasy, Supernatural. Hey you know what we need this season? Another one of those gamer/shut-ins getting sucked into another world. Mildly entertaining and funny, on the "maybe pile".

Soul Eater Not! - Action, Comedy, Ecchi, Shounen, Supernatural. Hmm~ not really sure if can call it a sequel or not, I haven't seen the original Soul Eater but believe this is just set in the same universe. Seems pretty interesting, I'm on the fence whether to stick with it as I haven't seen the original.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka - Comedy, other? I really like this anime, it's funny and quirky and has a big ball of fluff that's apparently a rabbit that talks with a man's voice :lol: If there's one anime that will cute you to death season it will be this one, art style is chou kawaii desu ne~ On the "yes pile".

Ping Pong the animation - Sport. *sigh* maybe this is some new thing to make anime with absolutely horrible art and animation, I just can't watch this. On the "nope pile".

Ryuugaijou Nanana no Maizoukin - Comedy, school, mystery, supernatural, little bit of ecchi. I like this one, the it's very funny and the main character is someone I can identify with, as in he allows his shoulder to get dislocated for a quick grope :P Supernatural as the leading female character is a ghost and there's some kind of mystery behind her murder. On the "yes pile".

Marvel DISK Wars: The Avengers - Superhero, action, touch of comedy. Probably aimed more towards kids than the last four Marvel anime. Interesting story with how they've incorporated The Avengers into it. On the "probably pile".

Knights of Sidonia - Sci-fi, action, CG. This one is all CG and looks pretty good, works with the setting and story. Seems interesting enough but is really quite slow and bit dull, if doesn't pick up I'll be dropping it. On the "maybe pile".
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Mekakucity Actors - ??? Honestly don't know how to describe this one so I'll use AniChart's; Comedy, Romance, Supernatural, Sci-Fi. This gives off a "Monogatari" feel with backgrounds using perfectly straight lines, isometric shapes, etc. and the animation of characters. It's weird and for the most of the first episode not very much happens so unless it picks up this will be dropped, which is a shame as I really like the animation. On the "maybe pile".

Atelier Escha & Logy - Alchemists of the Dusk Sky - Fantasy. I get the feeling this is based off of one of those games where you don't do an awful lot and there isn't really an end to it, kinda like Animal Crossing. Premise is interesting enough, art style and characters have their appeal but there just isn't enough going on to keep me interesting. On the "nope pile".

Think we're pretty much wrapped up with new anime, maybe another one or two to come but whether they'll be picked up is another matter.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

How DO you find the time?
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

I don't, I'm still struggling to keep up and still have 2 half year seasons to catch up on as well as K-ON! DVDs :lol:
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Sugami wrote:I don't, I'm still struggling to keep up and still have 2 half year seasons to catch up on as well as K-ON! DVDs :lol:
Lightweight!
I believe I have about 15 to 25 series still sealed, and about 35 series to watch still. (All DVD and Blu ray)

I haven't had the time to watch a full recent series for years. >.>
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

You are the lightweight when it comes to anime watching :lol:

Heh I'd ask why buy DVD/BD when you still have some to watch but you don't know when they'll stop being printed sadly :( I bought Persona 4 on Region 1 DVD as it looked like they stopped printing Region 2 then week or so later it was back on Region 2 >.< I also had to buy season 2 of Gundam 00 on Australian Region 4 :oops:
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Sugami wrote:You are the lightweight when it comes to anime watching :lol:
Touché!
Time however only allows me to watch so much...
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

With the season drawing to a close (about a month left) I think I can safely name my Anime of the Season!

Criteria is simple; it's a show that stands out above the majority of the rest this season, I'll want to watch the episode as soon as I see it available for download and also can't be a prequel/sequel/spin-off or left over from previous season.

Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou - Literally "We are all from dormitory Kawai" but is also a pun on "We are all pitiful". Possibly the funniest show this season but what makes it a standout comedy is that it's a character driven show with likable characters and a great interpersonal relationships. Not to mention the artwork and animation is beautiful.

Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka - Is your order a rabbit? As mentioned before quirky and hilarious, you'll also get your fill of moe with the super cute art-style. Let's not forget the talking rabbit (big ball of fluff) that appears to be one of the girl's grandfather that has somehow implanted his personality into it, something only briefly touched on with no explanation as it's completely normal. You'll love each and every one of the girls and argue with your friends over who the "best girl" is. You won't find many anime like this one, get your bunnisodes!

One Week Friends - Just a really great story that'll warm your heart. Gradually being touched on, girl loses memory of her friends every Monday and boy goes out of his way to befriend her. Their relationship grows as he helps her open up more to others and experience all the things she always had wanted to do with friends. There's a little bit of drama, some feels but mostly you'll be watching with a big smile on your face with the odd giggle at some of the comedic moments that crops up. Artwork and animation is great, soft, almost like water colours and fits the story perfectly.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

With the new season now in swing it's time for a bit of a wrap up of the old. I still stand by my AOTS choices.

The glad I stuck with this one award goes to No Game No Life with special mention to Knights of Sidonia. No Game No Life really picked up and showed it wasn't your standard gamer/shut-in thrown into another world kind of anime; the main character is a real d-bag but in a likable way, all the characters are interesting in their own way, it's a pretty interesting premise that's kept alive with different games and twists. Also the art style and animation is pretty damn cool.
Knights of Sidonia picked up once the threat became apparent and the fighting and character development started, there's also a second season confirmed. Also don't get attached to characters, main characters are killed off quite frequently.

The what the fudge award goes to kanojo ga flag wo oraretara and Mekakucity Actors. The former in a good way, latter in a bad way. Dem Flags throws a massive curve ball about half way in the series where SPOILERS it's revealed that the world is a virtual one created to cultivate the protagonists abilities in order to fight some evil doodars or the other, didn't make much sense TBH :P Mekakucity Actors is just a big WTF all the way through, it's kinda like Excel Saga but if not a comedy. There was clearly a plan and all the stories come together but it takes 10 episodes for the plot to be remotely coherent and they payoff isn't really worth it.

The could have been awesome but ruined by being rushed award goes to Black Bullet and Brynhildr in the Darkness. Latter more than the former. Black Bullet still quite good but could have been so much better, it's like there were 3 or 4 story arcs that were all rushed into a 13 episode series and the jump between arcs is just jarring. Brynhildr starts off great, dark and somewhat mysterious with a fair bit of action and gore thrown in and the odd spot of comedy to not allow the mood be too dark or depressing. Spends times building on the story until the episode 11 or 12 then it just throws out a couple of massive plot twists and then resolves everything instantly the following episode. Such potential wasted.