Spring 2016 Anime Line-up

All your anime and manga needs.
Sugami
Anime cat

Spring 2016 Anime Line-up

Post by Sugami »

It's finally here, not giving us any rest bite from the last season. Jeez how long have I been doing these? :lol:

http://anichart.net/spring

JoJo Part 4 get hype! Dorararararara! The art actually looks a big different, not sure if that's just my perception or if it's intentional.

Holy crap! Phoenix Wright the anime! My body is ready!
Sugami
Anime cat

Re: Spring 2016 Anime Line-up

Post by Sugami »

Let's get this bitch started!

Ace Attorney AKA Gyakuten Saiban AKA Turnabout Trial - I don't need to tell you what this is :P This is a 100% faithful anime adaptation of the game, the first episode is the first trial. They have the same popups as the game, box with text, the way they introduce the witness statement and questioning is exactly the same as the games, the music is so on point it sends chills down my back and they've made the OBJECTION! even more epic. The voice cast is different as you'd expect, possible the same Phoenix from the last game and you have to get used to the Japanese names. Fans of the series will NOT want to miss this and even if you haven't played the games I highly recommend it.
Edit: They've now released a version with the localized names and future episodes will be like this (probably).

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE 0096 - Mecha. This appears to be an expanded version of the OAVs, I really liked what I saw of the OAVs so this is a must see for Gundam fan if you haven't seen all the OAVs, if you have then you might not want to essentially rewatch the series.

Boku no Hero Academia - Superhero, action, adventure. - It has a somewhat One Punch Man feel to it but rather than being so OP everything is trivial the protagonist is powerless or "quirkless", at least he is for now. I like it, it's an interesting take on the superhero genre and would recommend it to fans of the genre as well.

Brotherhood - Final Fantasy XV - Fantasy, action, adventure. Oh snap! They have an anime too. These eps are only half size but you will want to gobble these up to get you ready for the game. The art and animation are on point, just a joy to watch really.

Endride - Fantasy, adventure, shoujo. Another one of those protagonist somehow getting teleported to another world anime. The reason I'm pegging it as a shoujo is because both the main characters are bishie boys. Didn't really strike me as all that interesting, not bad just rather average. If you're a fan of this genre you may like it, it may pick up later.

Kuma Miko - Slice of life, comedy, bear. Best way to describe this show is quirky, it's not a straight up comedy but will have you chuckle a little. One of the main characters is a talking bear, 'nough said :P I'm going to stick with it, if you like shows that are a bit different and odd you'd probably like this.

Re Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - Fantasy, adventure, comedy. Another one of those protagonist somehow getting teleported to another world anime and just after KonoSuba finished too. Where KonoSuba was aimed more towards an RPG fantasy world this is just an atypical fantasy world. KonoSuba was more of a straight up comedy, this one may be more character and story driven. Lots of parallels drawn to KonoSuba but you'll understand why if you see it :P Still it's interesting and funny enough to warrant me keeping up with (for now at least), I'd recommend it if you like KonoSuba and similar anime.
Edit: This series gets a LOT more interesting after part 2 of episode 1 :)
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Jo Jo, Jo Jo!
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

I don't know why Josuke's called JoJo, he only has one Jo in his name :lol:

Bakuon! - School, sports, comedy. Fun anime about a motorbike club, not sure if it's an all girls school but all members are girls so it's a little unexpected :P I like this one, it's fun and funny, and if you're a bike nut you'll probably like the level of detail they put into them. Recommend to fans of the genre and bike nuts :P

Hundred - Sci-fi, fantasy, school, comedy, harem. Another Infinite Stratos clone, really nothing new that other similar haven't done. Only really recommend if you're a fan of the genre.

Joker Game - Historical, espionage. I honestly don't really know how to describe this anime but I think we're on to a winner. Basically it's set in WW2 where they're training Japanese spies. That should really be enough to get you interested :P It's really interesting, the artwork and animation is great. This series may save anime :P Highly recommend to everyone, especially Shirai :P

Seisen Cerberus - Fantasy, action. Plays to pretty much every fantasy action trope in the book. The mix it up a bit at the end of the first ep where the protagonist, who they've built up to be some kind of awesome knight, turns out to be a bit sh*t. Not enough to hold my interest TBH. Only recommend if you're a fan of the genre.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Sugami wrote:I don't know why Josuke's called JoJo, he only has one Jo in his name :lol:
Yep, you're right.
Still an amazing chapter though, I'm really looking forward to the animated version.
Joker Game - Historical, espionage. I honestly don't really know how to describe this anime but I think we're on to a winner. Basically it's set in WW2 where they're training Japanese spies. That should really be enough to get you interested :P It's really interesting, the artwork and animation is great. This series may save anime :P Highly recommend to everyone, especially Shirai :P
Yeap!
Been looking forward to this one too. :)
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Yeah I've seen a lot of fans of the manga speak highly of Part 4, it looks like it's the chapter where they make Stands more of a level playing field I suppose. At least from what I've seen of the game all the stands are humanoid rather than the kinda weird ones you got in Part 3 :P

Bungou Stray Dogs - Supernatural/superpowers, action, comedy. This one got me within the first 5 minutes, laying down some good comedy. The plot and story opens up later in the episode showing great visuals and good story telling. I'm not sure but I think it may be aimed at the shoujo audience judging from the character art style and how most of the main cast are bishie dudes :P It's made by Bones and so feels very similar to Ouran with the normal art style and the silly facial expressions. Really like this, good mix of comedy and action, art and animation are just a joy too. Highly recommend to anyone.

Sousei no Onmyouji - Supernatural, action, comedy. Again another good mix of action and comedy, it's like if Blue Exorcist was good :P I like the art style too. Plenty to enjoy for fans of this kind of action as well as fans of comedy I think. Recommend unless you really don't like anime like this.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Happy Anne - School, comedy. This is a pretty interesting concept, the stupid of this particular class are all deemed "unlucky" so the class's goal is to essentially make them happy. It's really quite funny, quirky and the art is cute too. If you're looking for a good but somewhat odd comedy then I recommend this.

Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta - School, online gaming, comedy. Title basically translates to "girls don't exist on the interwebs" :P I was going to say this is like a PSO2 clone but then I recently came across a plot twist in PSO2 so scratch that :P Basically it's about a group of friends who play an MMO then they meet up IRL and shock horror 2 of the 3 guys are actually girls and the girl is actually a girl too :P It's pretty funny, if but a bit ecchi. It's good to see an anime about an MMO that isn't another SAO clone :P Recommend this if you like comedies.

Super Lover - Slice of life, SHOUJO. This anime screams "shoujo", I'm calling it "Super Gay" :P It's not shounen-ai but the whole way they portray brotherly love is specifically aimed at making girls squee. If you've seen Ouran it's kinda like the interactions between Mori and Honey but played up much more. I'm not against shoujo-anime, after all Ouran and Fruits Basket are among my favourites, but this is just a bit much for me. Only recommend this if you're a girl or like this kinda of thing.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress - Steampunk, action, gore. The best way to describe this is a steampunk anime with zombies :lol: It's set in what looks like pre-WW1 era but where steam power is the thing. I say "gore" but it's not like Gantz or anything, it's just a bit bloody. Also gives off a very strong Attack on Titan vibe, I have a feeling this will be the next big craze you'll see people cosplaying at conventions :P Saying that the art and animation are an absolute joy, the characters and story are interesting and I really quite like this one. Highly recommend unless you really don't like this kind of anime.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Flying Witch - Supernatural, school, slice of life. There's a certain charm about this anime, it's endearing and just puts a smile on your face. It's like a typical school/slice of life anime if the main character was a witch. Not an awful lot happens so you may get bored if you need there to be some kind of driving plot line or something but I found the characters able to hold my attention. The art is cute too. Recommend if you like cute little anime.

HaiFuri - School, comedy, ships. Full title is Highschool Fleet so you can see how the shortened title came about :P This is kinda like if Girls Und Panzer had battleships instead of tanks but there's a big escalation at the end of the first ep so it may be a fair bit more serious in tone. Art is cute and there's a lot of detail they put into the ships. Recommend if you like school comedies or ships :P

Kiznaiver - Action, adventure. This has a pretty big Kill la Kill vibe to it. The art and animation is quite stylistic, the story and characters are interesting. Really interested to see where this one goes. Recommend if you like Kill la Kill :P
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Mayoiga - Mystery, thriller? I honestly have no idea how to describe this, it just seems really quite interesting to me. The basic plot is a whole group of people want to leave their old life away and run off to this hidden village somewhere, the first episode is just a long bus journey. I recommend this if you're looking for something interesting and different to watch.

Sakamoto desu ga - School, comedy. Simple premise but damn do they nail it, the hilarity is in the absurdity. Basically Sakamoto is perfect in every way, almost everyone loves him and those who don't try to one-up him. Of course they fail and in quite spectacular ways and end up liking him. If you like comedies you'll probably like this.

Sansha Sanyou - School, comedy. Kinda like YuraYuri only not as funny or silly. It's fun, the art is cute but not enough draw for me. I'd watch it if I had more time. If you like cute little anime about a group of school girls you'll probably like this one.

Shounen Maid - Comedy. Comedy about a boy who moves in to his uncle's huge house as his mum dies and basically ends up becoming a maid because he's a huge clean freak. I did not expect this to be as funny as it is and I'd also be prepared for the odd feels. Recommend if looking for a nice comedy with the possibility of feels.

Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge - School, comedy. This is quite like Sakamoto in how the premise is very simple but they completely nail it. Basically Tanaka-kun is super lazy or "listless" and comedy comes from the absurdity in the situations that arise. Recommend if you're looking for a good comedy.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Big Order - Supernatural/superpowers, mystery, action. This one's kinda hard to describe I guess, it's kinda dark too. So it's basically a superpower anime, there's a bit of mystery about how the "world ending" event happened. It's pretty interesting, kinda feels like Future Diary only not as grim, at least not yet :P I'd recommend this if you like this genre but if you don't like dark anime you may want to stay clear.

Think that's the last of them :P
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Can see the different in styles, I prefer the old one TBH.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

I haven't found time to start with the new season yet, but... uh... wow...
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

"Unfortunately" there's quite a lot this season that I want to watch, my backlog continues to grow :P

Macross Delta - Mecha, music, sci-if. What happens when you cross AKB0048 with Gundam? This show does :lol: If you're well versed in Macross you're familiar with the fighter jet transforming mecha but this has singing idols that also contribute in battle. It's bright and vibrant, the characters are fun and interesting, the CG is great and the songs are really quite good too. Fans of Macross would probably like this, mecha fans would probably like this too unless singing idols puts you off :lol:
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Sugami wrote:"Unfortunately" there's quite a lot this season that I want to watch, my backlog continues to grow :P

Macross Delta - Mecha, music, sci-if. What happens when you cross AKB0048 with Gundam? This show does :lol: If you're well versed in Macross you're familiar with the fighter jet transforming mecha but this has singing idols that also contribute in battle. It's bright and vibrant, the characters are fun and interesting, the CG is great and the songs are really quite good too. Fans of Macross would probably like this, mecha fans would probably like this too unless singing idols puts you off :lol:
No, please don't let this be... *Macross 7 flashbacks*
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

I've only seen Macross Plus but isn't music always quite important to a Macross show? :P :lol:
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Music has indeed always been a big part of the Macross series, but apart from Macross 7 the musicians were never the main heroes of the story.
Which for some reason turned Macross 7 into an incredibly boring installment in the series.

Apart from that, I have a great dislike for idol groups like AKB, so...