I learned how to show my FPS!!!

Anything that doesn't specificly goes into one console goes here.
Multi-platform games, regular programs, operating systems, anything.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

I learned how to show my FPS!!!

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Its appalling....

Dynamis, rock solid 30.

XIV as low as 9 in town crafting. Over 20 rarely and only in underpopulated areas. If there are any.

AMD 64 x2 4400 +, Win XP home, 2 GB ram, 512 MG 9800 GT. I think that " LG7Y23CM" just might have something to do with my motherboard. Nvida Nforce4 does.

So um.... yeah. Any other real options other than donating it to the poor and giving Newegg or someone the hot cash injection?
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Keerith
Metal Cat

Re: I learned how to show my FPS!!!

Post by Keerith »

What settings are you running XIV with? I have a slower processor (but a faster GPU) and I tend to get ~20 FPS most of the time, ~12-15 in the camps.
-Keerith
See you later, space cowboy!

[FFXIV: Keerith Galeo, Priestess of Ormagöden]

"Can't bend what's made of metal / We're reinforced with steel / We never will surrender / We never kneel." - Made of Metal, by Dream Evil
Asphe
Feral Cat

Post by Asphe »

nVidia GTX460 768mb video card. Seems to be the cheapest card that can play FFXIV well.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

1600 X 900, Buffer = Resolution, everything else Low, Lowest, or Off, whichever is at the bottom.
nVidia GTX460 768mb video card. Seems to be the cheapest card that can play FFXIV well.
Wouldn't my CPU bottleneck that?
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Asphe
Feral Cat

Post by Asphe »

Currently on my system, FFXIV is taking up almost 1GB of RAM (starts at around 300mb, and usually is mostly 500mb or so but will grow to 1GB on occasion), CPU-wise, it will eat up at most around 41% (4 x CPUs all running at 2.4GHz) while hitting about 85-100% of my graphics card (GTX 460 768mb, 1600x900*, Resolution buffer, textures/filtering set to Highest, Shadows Low, DoF and Occlusion set to off, AA set to 2x MSAA).

Based on that, I'm betting your CPU will be ok, the graphics is the bottleneck most if not all of the time.

*Resolution, do you remember how you could set 'resolution' in FFXI? in FFXIV, Window size might be set to 2 x 2, but if you set resolution to 1x1 though, then FFXIV renders a 1x1 image, then upscales it to 2 x 2 to fill the window. Well, more or less. So reducing resolution is your best bet at reducing the graphics load at a rather severe drop in graphics quality. Give it a try.

In my experience, 1600x900 at 100% resolution looks and runs smoother than 1280x720 at 200% resolution.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Asphe wrote: So reducing resolution is your best bet at reducing the graphics load at a rather severe drop in graphics quality. Give it a try.
I did in beta. 1/2 resolution made my eyes bleed. At 1/4 resolution it was like watching 8 bit theater.

Kennocha
Tomcat

Post by Kennocha »

At minimum you need to get more than 2gb of ram. That CPU is certainly slow, and is holding back your current card for sure.

At this point it may be time for a whole new PC.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

That's kinda what I thought Kenn, and I don't think the motherboard is capable of taking a much better CPU. But being an XP machine isn't 2 gb both enough and maxed?

I finally got out into the further reaches of T2, away from the roads. I saw as much as 44 FPS!! Just standing in a busy part of town its as low as 9 - 11.

Kennocha
Tomcat

Post by Kennocha »

XP can do 4gb of ram, however ram from videocards and address space of motherboard components reduce it down to ~3.25gb on average. It would probably help some.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Since we're talking hardware specs here I'll list mine:

Windows XP Home (SP3)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual
Core processor 5600+
2.91GHz, 2GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3800 series

What needs to be upgraded and what's highest priority?
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Graphics card.
The rest of your specs should be high enough to run the game, albeit on lower resolution and settings.
(FF14 is already being called the Crysis of the MMO world.)
BUT!
Be very sure to check your mainboard for the right slot (PCI expres x16). (See image for how it should look.)

You aren't running one of these "A-brand" (Acer, HP, Dell, Compaq, etc.) machines, right?
If so, that may be a little problem.
(Remembers that the 3800 series chip is also used a lot as integrated VGA chip on laptops and mainboards and A-brands are notorious for lacking upgrade capabilities.)
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Shirai wrote:(FF14 is already being called the Crysis of the MMO world.)
:lol: oh dear, it's the price we pay for having such adorable looking kitties I suppose.

I build my own computer, just have to check the motherboard manual to see what slots it has.

Edit: Yup, PCI Express 16 it be. I'll get a new GFX card for Christmas, just have to make do until then.
Asphe
Feral Cat

Post by Asphe »

If you are using XP, 2GB is fine. Even if you upgrade to 4GB, you can seldom use much over 3GB due to software limitations.

At it's worse, I still have 300mb 'free' out of 2GB on my Win7 64. And that's on the rare occasions FF14 takes up 1GB (How the heck will they ever fit that into the 256mb main memory of the PS3?)

Some of the machines at work running FF14:
2.0 GHz AMD Athlon (3200+?)/8800GTX = ok, cpu bottleneck.
2.4 GHz Intel quad-core/GTX260 = quite ok, 1280x720 is good
3.4 GHz Intel quad-core/GTX460 = very nice, everything runs great in full-screen.

I'm using a utility to keep the priority of FF14 above normal even when it is in the background, so it doesn't lag or crash when I bring up a browser or a movie. That might help you if you are a multi-tasker as well.

I could upgrade the GTX460 to a 470/480 but those cards are huge, loud and hot. The GTX460 is almost half the size of the GTX260.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Asphe wrote:I could upgrade the GTX460 to a 470/480 but those cards are huge, loud and hot. The GTX460 is almost half the size of the GTX260.
My 470 is actually really quiet, even on heavy load.
I opened my case several times to see if the cooler was actually running.
It's a MSI, but I believe ASUS uses the exact same cooler.
Red_Xix
Kitten

Post by Red_Xix »

I got a Alienware M17x 8Gigs of ram, Intel Duo-T9600 @3.20Ghz, two Nvidia GTX 260m cards @1.25Ghz each, HD screen, Razer-Backlight keyboard to mach my Alienware backlight board, bla bla bla... I created a Nvidia profile to run FFXIV in SLI based on the Crysis profile. I run the game with Nvidia settings over riding the game profile. I am getting 45-60 fps in and out of cities. I do have depth turned off as I dont like how the trees "glitch" in the distance.

Anyone looking for a good PC for this game, Wow! I love this Laptop, I am sure you will too... worth the money!
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

I'll keep it to my self built computers. :)
And as I am not running the game in full screen SLi or Crossfire won't matter to me anyway.
xaresity
Queen Cat

Post by xaresity »

audiobookkeeper.rucottagenet.rueyesvision.rueyesvisions.comfactoringfee.rufilmzones.rugadwall.rugaffertape.rugageboard.rugagrule.rugallduct.rugalvanometric.rugangforeman.rugangwayplatform.rugarbagechute.rugardeningleave.rugascautery.rugashbucket.rugasreturn.rugatedsweep.rugaugemodel.rugaussianfilter.rugearpitchdiameter.ru
geartreating.rugeneralizedanalysis.rugeneralprovisions.rugeophysicalprobe.rugeriatricnurse.rugetintoaflap.rugetthebounce.ruhabeascorpus.ruhabituate.ruhackedbolt.ruhackworker.ruhadronicannihilation.ruhaemagglutinin.ruhailsquall.ruhairysphere.ruhalforderfringe.ruhalfsiblings.ruhallofresidence.ruhaltstate.ruhandcoding.ruhandportedhead.ruhandradar.ruhandsfreetelephone.ru
hangonpart.ruhaphazardwinding.ruhardalloyteeth.ruhardasiron.ruhardenedconcrete.ruharmonicinteraction.ruhartlaubgoose.ruhatchholddown.ruhaveafinetime.ruhazardousatmosphere.ruheadregulator.ruheartofgold.ruheatageingresistance.ruheatinggas.ruheavydutymetalcutting.rujacketedwall.rujapanesecedar.rujibtypecrane.rujobabandonment.rujobstress.rujogformation.rujointcapsule.rujointsealingmaterial.ru
journallubricator.rujuicecatcher.rujunctionofchannels.rujusticiablehomicide.rujuxtapositiontwin.rukaposidisease.rukeepagoodoffing.rukeepsmthinhand.rukentishglory.rukerbweight.rukerrrotation.rukeymanassurance.rukeyserum.rukickplate.rukillthefattedcalf.rukilowattsecond.rukingweakfish.rukinozones.rukleinbottle.rukneejoint.ruknifesethouse.ruknockonatom.ruknowledgestate.ru
kondoferromagnet.rulabeledgraph.rulaborracket.rulabourearnings.rulabourleasing.rulaburnumtree.rulacingcourse.rulacrimalpoint.rulactogenicfactor.rulacunarycoefficient.ruladletreatediron.rulaggingload.rulaissezaller.rulambdatransition.rulaminatedmaterial.rulammasshoot.rulamphouse.rulancecorporal.rulancingdie.rulandingdoor.rulandmarksensor.rulandreform.rulanduseratio.ru
languagelaboratory.rulargeheart.rulasercalibration.rulaserlens.rulaserpulse.rulaterevent.rulatrinesergeant.rulayabout.ruleadcoating.ruleadingfirm.rulearningcurve.ruleaveword.rumachinesensible.rumagneticequator.rumagnetotelluricfield.rumailinghouse.rumajorconcern.rumammasdarling.rumanagerialstaff.rumanipulatinghand.rumanualchoke.rumedinfobooks.rump3lists.ru
nameresolution.runaphtheneseries.runarrowmouthed.runationalcensus.runaturalfunctor.runavelseed.runeatplaster.runecroticcaries.runegativefibration.runeighbouringrights.ruobjectmodule.ruobservationballoon.ruobstructivepatent.ruoceanmining.ruoctupolephonon.ruofflinesystem.ruoffsetholder.ruolibanumresinoid.ruonesticket.rupackedspheres.rupagingterminal.rupalatinebones.rupalmberry.ru
papercoating.ruparaconvexgroup.ruparasolmonoplane.ruparkingbrake.rupartfamily.rupartialmajorant.ruquadrupleworm.ruqualitybooster.ruquasimoney.ruquenchedspark.ruquodrecuperet.rurabbetledge.ruradialchaser.ruradiationestimator.rurailwaybridge.rurandomcoloration.rurapidgrowth.rurattlesnakemaster.rureachthroughregion.rureadingmagnifier.rurearchain.rurecessioncone.rurecordedassignment.ru
rectifiersubstation.ruredemptionvalue.rureducingflange.rureferenceantigen.ruregeneratedprotein.rureinvestmentplan.rusafedrilling.rusagprofile.rusalestypelease.rusamplinginterval.rusatellitehydrology.ruscarcecommodity.ruscrapermat.ruscrewingunit.ruseawaterpump.rusecondaryblock.rusecularclergy.ruseismicefficiency.ruselectivediffuser.rusemiasphalticflux.rusemifinishmachining.ruspicetrade.ruspysale.ru
stungun.rutacticaldiameter.rutailstockcenter.rutamecurve.rutapecorrection.rutappingchuck.rutaskreasoning.rutechnicalgrade.rutelangiectaticlipoma.rutelescopicdamper.rutemperateclimate.rutemperedmeasure.rutenementbuilding.rutuchkasultramaficrock.ruultraviolettesting.ru