Grand Theft Auto IV

Anything that doesn't specificly goes into one console goes here.
Multi-platform games, regular programs, operating systems, anything.

Which version did you/are going to get?

PlayStation 3 Regular
7%
PlayStation 3 Special Edition
7%
Xbox 360 Regular
20%
Xbox 360 Special Edition
7%
PC...when its released.
No votes
None. I hate GTA.
13%
PIE!!!
47%

Total votes: 15

Keavy
Drunker than thou

Grand Theft Auto IV

Post by Keavy »

After what feels like an eternity its finally out and it was so worth the wait!

Naturally I was there for the midnight launch and got about two hours of playtime in before I started falling asleep at the controls and had to go to bed. I like what I've seen so far and can't wait to play more!

The art style is great, I love the new mission system, the GPS is a godsend, the fighting and targeting system is awesome, and I especially love how you can interact with others.

Only things I don't like are the car controls; they feel floaty and take time to get used to, and the fact that they removed Double Cleff and Game from the radio. Those were my two favorite stations!

Oh, and in the 360 version there's an achievement called "Warm Coffee." You unlock it when a woman invites you back to her place after a date. :lol: :lol: :lol:
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Just have to go with the pie option here.

I watched a roomie play earlier GTA games, and liked some features, it just isn't my style of game.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Rishutlaw
Tomcat

Post by Rishutlaw »

Well, I'm going to check it out before I buy it. One of my friends recieved his copy at midnight last night, and I should be able to play it at his house by this weekend.
Kiraku: [lvl 44 SAM] [Lvl 33 MNK] [lvl 25 WAR] [lvl 15 BST] [lvl 10 BLM] [lvl 10 WHM] [lvl 21 THF]

[img]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p192/okanestar789/Kir071223003827a.jpg[/img]
http://gamerhaven.forumotion.com/index.htm
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

I got the PS3 version waiting for me at Game Crazy when I get out of school. I am thinking about skipping school... but I'd rather not.

Dun want the 'rents to get pissed off at me.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

My Hubby got the PS3 Special Edition, I got the 360 SPecial Edition. This morning we spent the day playing the game on both consoles, and after much frustration over the control system and finally figuring it out, all we could come to agree on is the overall thoughts of the game: Ehhhhh.....

"It's just grand theft auto" I said, "Really they promised it would be fun! Like a biiig cake!" "Hun, The Cake Is A Mother Fecking Lie." It was. It was a biiiig Let down. All this hype and half the controls are borked, Camera angles make no sense, and their trying to keep the liberty city story alive apparently. I'm sorry The only good GTA Game Was Vice City/Vice City Stories.

I did however enjoy the boating controls, but that was it. I cannot speak for the ps3 version, he had the privilage of that. Not a Fan, A biiiiig waste of my money, but I will hang onto the copy in hopes that maybe I can find a ray of hope when I finish the game (Sorry but when my engine blew a piston ring, I had to shelve teh game heh). And on a minor note, can someone explain to me why GTAIV refuses to show up on the xbox gamertag below my signature >.>;

One More thing, Unless I missed it... WHERE'S LAZLOW?! I miss him!! He was my favorite Shock Jock!!
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

I had to vote "PIE" but I got regular 360 version yesterday. There were buttloads in stock in more than one shop :lol:

I have to agree that the car controls are kinda shitty. Not sure if GTA3 and Vice City was also plagued by this problem but the handling just plain sucks and it is mean to be a car game first and foremost.

It's not as super special awesome as people make it out to be but it is a good fun game nonetheless :)
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Still working on it atm, It has a few redeeming graces, but now that I have the "Warm Coffee Achievment" I dun think I want anything else out of this game, other then why half the game's i'm playing on 360 don't show up on my bar /beat signature bar
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Finwich
Housecat

Post by Finwich »

I have a feeling that they could have someone sh*t in a box, label it "GTAshitinabox SPECIAL EDITION", and it would get rated 10/10 and sell a bagillion copies...
RDM/SMN/WAR/DRG/DNC/BLM/COR/DRK85
Bravura 6/14/10 WARcat +7
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Finwich wrote:I have a feeling that they could have someone sh*t in a box, label it "GTAshitinabox SPECIAL EDITION", and it would get rated 10/10 and sell a bagillion copies...
Basically, This game was so over hyped it was almost sad. It just proves that most review sites are crap and can be bought anymore.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Sounds about right :lol:

It's starting to feel less of a car/adventure game and more of a date sim. Going out with the girlfriend and friends to keep them happy, if you turn them down they'll like you less. It's just pointless delays, like a hall full of balloons.

In fact I'm getting the feeling there is actually less to do than Vice City, once you've torn out the datesim mallarky and all the boring pointless minigames. Where are all the hidden packages? Where are all the special stunts? Secret Missions?

Multiplayer Coop is something that illuded me for a time. There needs to be a sign saying "this is coop" 'cause you really don't know just by looking at it. Basically 3 "options" in the MP section which are for "2-4 players", those are the coop missions. Tried one with a friend last night, a lot of fun :)

And yes driving still sucks balls. Especially when you need to win a f*cking race for a mission and can't take corners at more than 5MPH without smashing into the wall or skidding off the road :x
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

News flash:

"$100 million Grand Theft Auto IV is most expensive game ever"

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=181688

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

In its defense, the driving game part of the GTA series is NOT what made it a big name franchise. It is a full fledged RPG, just you get to play a bad boy. All the parts of a bad boy, guns, muggings, car jacking, prostitutes.

How different from saving a princess / the world / the universe. Hollywood had a word for this way back in the 30s. "The old switcheroo".

The soundtrack / radio stations had something to do with it too.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

Driving sucks, though, I've gotten used to it. Its just the turning is a big problem, and from what I've figured out, I just have to use other cars to give me a "bump" in the right direction. Its also a big risk, 'cuz if you hit them dead on...

CRASH!

Anywho, I just got through the "Deconstruction" mission, the combat is damn awesome. Once you get used to the whole R1 to duck, L2 to aim, and then holding it to shoot.

If you're not careful, and someone gets close to you with an automatic, you're not going to be surviving through a full clip.

Where as in Vice City (Or any of the PS2 generation games), you could take a lot of hits, but taking cover was an issue. It was a "Target and kill" as fast as you can.

The new wanted system is nice, instead of having to change clothes or go to a spray and pay I can at least evade the police at two stars. THough, I don't want to see how big the area would be with 3 stars. ANd by 4 stars, I bet you're going to have to resort to a spray and pay.

As far as the dating system goes... its fun, gets me out of the game, but annoys the piss out of me. Though, getting drunk with Romani was funner than hell. I didn't take the cab, so I ended up getting two stars as I literally drove across the island. Maybe I'll try Multiplayer soon/
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

It's f*cking huge for 4 stars, I almost evaded it twice :x you get a police helicopter and FBI after you as well.

You'll come across this f*cking impossible mission where after killing a buttload of gangsters to get some drugs back you'll get the police and SWAT arrive, you have to charge through them and get it back to el bintface. Whilst you try this you get the 3 star rating. I've tried it 10 f*cking billing times :x God damn impossible missions really making me hate this game more and more :x
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Tivia wrote:Basically, This game was so over hyped it was almost sad. It just proves that most review sites are crap and can be bought anymore.
If the review sites are at all like magazines, its their job to sell these things. Its not that they can be bought, its what they do for a living.

It isn't just games either. Car magazines sell cars and accessories, fishing magazines sell tackle and boats, etc.

I used to subscribe to Cook's Magazine mostly because they don't carry adds. How refreshing.

Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

Sugami wrote:It's f*cking huge for 4 stars, I almost evaded it twice :x you get a police helicopter and FBI after you as well.

You'll come across this f*cking impossible mission where after killing a buttload of gangsters to get some drugs back you'll get the police and SWAT arrive, you have to charge through them and get it back to el bintface. Whilst you try this you get the 3 star rating. I've tried it 10 f*cking billing times :x God damn impossible missions really making me hate this game more and more :x
I just did that one.

There's health kits laying around that up and the armor. When you're ready, get a waypoint set up to the nearest Spray and Pay, and start the segment.

Just charge through, run towards the edge of the island, before running towards the parking lot. Get into the first car you see, and then hop in, and run to the Spray and Pay

If you can at least get yourself nudged in slightly, you'll lose your 3 star rating. Its how I did it.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Ugh so hard to follow a route on my TV when the cops are after me, can barely see it on the GPS. Not mention having the cops rammed up my ass continually >.>
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Tsybil wrote:
Tivia wrote:Basically, This game was so over hyped it was almost sad. It just proves that most review sites are crap and can be bought anymore.
If the review sites are at all like magazines, its their job to sell these things. Its not that they can be bought, its what they do for a living.

It isn't just games either. Car magazines sell cars and accessories, fishing magazines sell tackle and boats, etc.

I used to subscribe to Cook's Magazine mostly because they don't carry adds. How refreshing.
It is not a surprise for me, I have never put much stock into most reviews as being worth a crap. I have just been on a tirade against all these idiots who swear all reviews are "legit" and clearly any game that gets a 10/10 is the greatest thing since sliced bread. When in reality you can have a really fantastic game get a 4/10 because the site is full of fanboys for another system or because the producer didn't pay enough, while a crap game gets a 10/10 because of the same reasons. I am mostly just sick and tired of all the hype surrounding games that were never that good to begin with.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Tivia wrote:
Tsybil wrote:

It is not a surprise for me, I have never put much stock into most reviews as being worth a crap. I have just been on a tirade against all these idiots who swear all reviews are "legit" and clearly any game that gets a 10/10 is the greatest thing since sliced bread. When in reality you can have a really fantastic game get a 4/10 because the site is full of fanboys for another system or because the producer didn't pay enough, while a crap game gets a 10/10 because of the same reasons. I am mostly just sick and tired of all the hype surrounding games that were never that good to begin with.
To Quote Ben "Yahtzee" Crosshair, 'If a game gets mass hype, it's usually to cover up a wanker arse control system.'
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Am I a GTA fanboy? Yes. Just like I'm a Final Fantasy fanboy.

I'll freely admit that I got excited when Peter Moore rolled up his sleeve and revealed the GTA IV logo. I have downloaded every trailer, read every article, and spent way too much time on forums discussing my thoughts regarding the game.

To put it simply I love GTA and I love this game. Not a 10/10 but easily an 8.The biggest issue I have is with the feeling that its GTA III in High Def. Sure, I loved GTA III but IV didn't have to copy and paste its missions.

One thing I can say I love is how the Spray and Pay works now. Used to be a free pass but now if the cops see you go into one they'll be waiting for you when you leave.

Also the new wanted system is nice. I got to five stars in multiplayer a few nights ago and I honestly believe six stars is the entire playable area.

Oh, and I love how they tied an achievement to killing a member of the development team in Ranked multiplayer. Achievement whores are going nuts over that one. The thought of them not being good enough to take down a developer and see their 1000/1000 on GTA IV unattainable has them absolutely frightened.
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

KarouKaniyashia wrote:To Quote Ben "Yahtzee" Crosshair, 'If a game gets mass hype, it's usually to cover up a wanker arse control system.'
Yahtzee is genius! I recommend everyone to pop over to http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... unctuation and check out his reviews :D

I went to the Comedy Club in GTA4 and who did I see? Ricky Gervais! Ha awesome :lol:
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Sugami wrote:
KarouKaniyashia wrote:To Quote Ben "Yahtzee" Crosshair, 'If a game gets mass hype, it's usually to cover up a wanker arse control system.'
Yahtzee is genius! I recommend everyone to pop over to http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... unctuation and check out his reviews :D

I went to the Comedy Club in GTA4 and who did I see? Ricky Gervais! Ha awesome :lol:
Ricky is also on the TV and Radio. I forget which station but he is there.

He's taking over!!!
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Where's Lazlow /cry He's my favorite Shock Jock!
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

I heard him, he's on a station but not sure which one. I always listen to Liberty Rock Radio anyways :P
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Sugami wrote:I heard him, he's on a station but not sure which one. I always listen to Liberty Rock Radio anyways :P
How to unlock One Man Army Achievment. In the early part of the game, go to the bridge that connects the main island to the second island. Drive up the stair case and you'll receive a 6 star wanted rating. You want this. Drive underneath the tunnel, and just wait for five minutes. The cops won't be able to find you, and you'll be 40 gamer points richer.

All information from Xbox Live's Insider Moves.

EDIT: I solved the achievment points/gamer tag thing. I had my HDD Plugged into my brother's 360, and even plugged into my profile, it somehow fubared up and went on his profile... Microsoft tech support claims this doesn't happen, aka "We're stumped." So I'm going to restart my game later tonight after dynamis, and see if that fixes the problem.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Keavy wrote:
To put it simply I love GTA and I love this game. Not a 10/10 but easily an 8.
You see this is a reasonable grade. I would have far less issue with the review sites had they been posting things like this.
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

If the cars didn't control like hoverboards and if the combat system was more intuitive I could see myself bumping it up to a 9.

There's only one game that's a 10 in my opinion and that's Tetris on the NES.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

NES? Original Tetris on the Gameboy, classic!

I think I'd give GTA4 a 7 at best, managed to finally completely those near impossbile missions :x
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Sugami wrote:NES? Original Tetris on the Gameboy, classic!

I think I'd give GTA4 a 7 at best, managed to finally completely those near impossbile missions :x
There is only one true perfect 10 in gaming....Final Fantasy 1. Don't look at me like that, I can dominate that game flawlessly~
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Hey, two decades after I first discovered it I'm still playing and enjoying it as much as I did when I first got it.

That's a ten in my eyes.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Keavy wrote:
Hey, two decades after I first discovered it I'm still playing and enjoying it as much as I did when I first got it.

That's a ten in my eyes.
Karou's Thought For The Day: *whacks Keavy with a baseball bat* "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"

EDIT: Oh please tell me ppl got the referance I just made ^_^