Nintendo in deep financial kim-che

Everything Nintendo!!
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Nintendo in deep financial kim-che

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

From MSNBC:

Ouch! Report says Nintendo is bleeding big money.

They will not go under anytime soon, but I wouldn't buy their stock right now.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Re: Nintendo in deep financial kim-che

Post by Tivia »

Looks like Nintendo is going to be in serious trouble when the WiiU flops (and you all know it is going to).

Honestly, I would like to see Nintendo go the way of Sega. Don't get me wrong, I have loved alot of nintendo stuff over the years. But I think they would be far more valuable to the gaming community purely producing games for the Playstation/Xbox. I feel the quality of the games will jump significantly and we would see far less "shovelware" as a result. Then they could just purely focus on their handhelds and games.

Remove crap like the 3ds and WiiU from the market and the quality of everything else is going to improve.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

But without Nintendo handhelds there won't be any Phoenix Wright games :(
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

I said continue with their handhelds as well.

Guess I wasn't clear. I want to see their console division go the way of Sega. That way they can focus on higher quality IP's and their handhelds. Let's be honest..truly honest. Nintendo has not competed in the "console" market since the Nintendo 64. The Gamecube was a massive failure and the Wii was nothing more than a stroke of blind luck. The Wii doesn't compete as a console, it filled a temporary niche that no one knew existed. That niche has been filled and there is little else to exploit out of it. Outside a stroke of blind stupid luck again (unlikely), the WiiU has no niche to fill and has little chance of competing with the Xbox/Playstation. It isn't a competitive product and it is going to fail miserably. Simply put, their console division just needs to go away. Then take their huge library of IP's and focus on producing higher quality versions of their current and invest in new IP's. Create all of this for both the Xbox and Playstation and they will be making far more money then they ever will with the WiiU or have on their consoles in decades.

Nintendo hasn't been a console company in a long time. They are a handheld company and a game producing company. The sooner they realize and focus on that, the quicker everyone is the better for it.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

The Japanese gaming market plan has been sell consoles at a loss in order to sell profitable games. But consoles, like desktop PC will be dinosaurs in less than a decade. No, I take that back, the consoles will have perished, the PC will still have a few adherents.

Handhelds? Try telephones. Which are a LOT smarter than 386 DOS computers. Or the Huston Spaceflight Center's entire computer dept when we were exploring the moon. The line between telephones and handhelds started to blur moments after the first handheld came out. There is already a telephone with a slide up screen and gamepad like controls. (No idea on its titles if any.)

The Japanese gaming companies need to get out of the hardware end. Period. Chairman Bill's first great realization was that once development costs are done there is almost no cost to sell software. Hardware has to be built. This is not a new concept. They need to develop for existing phone and pad operating systems. Yes, this does mean Macs too.

Or maybe do something like WAKFU. That's the French made MMO Squenix is publishing. Its in Flash I think.

Look kitties, the world is changing. And the rate of change is accelerating. The future of computing, gaming, and communication will be one handy device and fit in your pocket. Options will, heck already, include docking / charging stations with monitors and keyboards, the slideout game controller above, and models with projectors. And I bet the GPS will be sensitive enough you can use it like a Wii.

I think the first quad core phone is already out....
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

I agree things are changing..but playing on a phone/pad seriously blows. Outside a handful of games like angry birds and such, touch interfaces are utterly shitty for gaming. I think consoles have another generation or two left in them still, but not from nintendo. PC still advances so quickly that I believe it has a long time yet before gaming ceases to be better on it. Actually I see a bit of a shift in the not too distant future of gaming switching back primarily to PC.

Handhelds are another animal entirely. On one hand, I can arguably see your point. On the other the average parent is not going to sacrifice their phone to their kid for hours or buy a $500+ pad for gaming. I see the 3DS as proof that handhelds must be cheap though as it was clearly just priced right out of the market. Couple that with sketch 3d implementation and a technology that honestly isn't nearly as popular as they want you to believe and it was destined to fail. Yet the standard DSi/XL continue to sell amazingly well. Also you have to remember due to the sheer complexity of smartphones/tabs, battery life will remain a problem. One of the big things a handheld has going for it is the ability to literally play for days without recharging. No, I don't see the handheld market going anywhere. I do however see it readjusting and sticking with simpler platforms like the DSi. While I LOVE the look of the PS Vita, frankly I think it is too close to a phone, is going to have terrible battery life and is going to end up flopping as a result.

I hope that Sony/MS get smart with the next generation of Consoles and abandon the optical disc. I think the DSi has proven that it is cost effective to sell games on a flash card and the capacities of these is so much greater than even a blu-ray disc can tout. Not to mention we are hitting a hardwall of speed when it comes to extracting data off optical discs and I think consoles would benefit massively from eliminating this large clunky component that is beyond outdated. Give us better cooling systems to extend the life of the machine and bigger hard drives and consoles have the potential to have new life. Another thing they could do is create an upgradable GPU. This is almost without fail the major holdback of a console. If they did it in a method that the average consumer could buy a specially designed card that was a matter of swapping out a slot much like the 360's hard drive. They could extend the life of the hardware, still keep the programming easy for developers as there would only be a handful of gpu choices and give consumers the ability to feel more in control. Now granted I typically hate heavily controlled hardware like this, but in the case of a console I make an exception. I feel this change would actually bring more benefit to the consumers, developers and hardware manufacturers.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

But without the optical media, it makes it hard to bundle collector's editions together. Personally, I perfer hard media to digital downloads (I've had nothing but issues with Steam not installing correctly). As for Nintendo, I'd like to see them pull their heads out their rear ends.
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Karou Ariyen wrote:But without the optical media, it makes it hard to bundle collector's editions together. Personally, I perfer hard media to digital downloads (I've had nothing but issues with Steam not installing correctly). As for Nintendo, I'd like to see them pull their heads out their rear ends.
I wasn't saying eliminate physical media, just the optical disc. It is just as easy to bundle collector's editions together on flash.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Sugami wrote:But without Nintendo handhelds there won't be any Phoenix Wright games :(
It seems there will be Phoenix Wright move at least. And the otaku in Japan say the lead actor is a perfect fit for the role.
Tivia wrote:I agree things are changing..but playing on a phone/pad seriously blows. Outside a handful of games like angry birds and such, touch interfaces are utterly shitty for gaming.
Just saw a handful of PRGs on a friend's iphone. Two were SNES quality overhead view single player types, both had different control schemes. There there was a WoW... clone is too mild a word here, try total ripoff. Didn't see any gameplay but it is a full online MMO at $1/month.
Tivia wrote:Handhelds are another animal entirely. On one hand, I can arguably see your point. On the other the average parent is not going to sacrifice their phone to their kid for hours or buy a $500+ pad for gaming.
But today most kids have a cell phone. And while parents aren't going to blow $500 on a handheld, try the difference between a free phone and a $200 one on contract renewal.
Tivia wrote: Also you have to remember due to the sheer complexity of smartphones/tabs, battery life will remain a problem. One of the big things a handheld has going for it is the ability to literally play for days without recharging.... While I LOVE the look of the PS Vita, frankly I think it is too close to a phone, is going to have terrible battery life and is going to end up flopping as a result.
Battery tech has also been improving, but not as fast as computer tech. I had NO IDEA about the battery life of today's handhelds. The Wii U is already under fire for lousy battery life, but in light of this post I wonder what that battery life is compared to a smartphone.
Tivia wrote:Another thing they could do is create an upgradable GPU. This is almost without fail the major holdback of a console.... I feel this change would actually bring more benefit to the consumers, developers and hardware manufacturers.
And seeing as how consoles have traditionally been sold as loss leaders to sell games this would improve the developer's bottom lines. But somehow I think Japan is too mired in planed obsolescence to even think of this.

Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Alya Mizar (Tsybil) wrote:It seems there will be Phoenix Wright move at least. And the otaku in Japan say the lead actor is a perfect fit for the role.
Oh I heard about that, fingers crossed it'll be good. I'll need to get the smelly 3DS for Professor Layron Vs Phoenix Wright :(
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Can't you rent those from the places that rent the games?

Or are you a must own type?

Rent the DS, buy the game?
:?:

Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Don't believe you can rent consoles here, can you in America? At least I'm finally earning so I can buy it and not feel (too) guilty :lol:
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Many, but not nearly all, video rental places around here rent the necessary hardware as well. If they have platform games, they will rent the platforms too.

I cannot speak for the rest of the country.