Say good-bye to Linux on the PS3

For all your playstation needs.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Say good-bye to Linux on the PS3

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Something I never knew was possible.

From http://news.cnet.com/digitalhome/

Those who own an older PS3 version and currently run Linux on the console will want to listen up: a new firmware update coming down later this week will kill that installation.

According to Sony, it plans to release PlayStation 3 firmware version 3.21 on Thursday to achieve one goal: eliminate the "Other OS" option currently available in all pre-Slim models of the video game console. The feature allowed PS3 owners to install an operating system--in almost every case, Linux--onto the PlayStation 3.

Sony said that its decision to remove the Other OS option is based on security concerns. The company contends that after installing the update, users will have "a more secure system." Those who currently use the Other OS option and have an operating system running on the PS3 will loss all data (and, obviously, the OS installation) after installing the update.

Although Sony wants PS3 owners to download the software, it said that users won't be forced to do so. That said, if users don't install the firmware, they will lose access to the PlayStation Network and playback of games and Blu-ray movies that require the new software. The console will also stop playing copy-protected content from media servers.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Wow Sony, Going the way of Microsoft when it comes to f*** ups huh? There's going to be a non used PS3 in this house. Although We're already waiting for the firmware to crack it. To create a virtual "OS" that Sony won't be able to detect. And they won't because their heads are shoved up their bums so hard their oblivious.
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Sorta annoyed by this, more on the same principle of them removing the BC then my actual use level. I used it for a while and it was amusing, but never really all that useful. That is not the point though, fact is I specifically own the older model because of the lack of limitations. Getting rather irked at Sonys sudden push to turn this into a shitbox.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Tivia wrote:Sorta annoyed by this, more on the same principle of them removing the BC then my actual use level. I used it for a while and it was amusing, but never really all that useful. That is not the point though, fact is I specifically own the older model because of the lack of limitations. Getting rather irked at Sonys sudden push to turn this into a shitbox.
As a humble representitive of The Microsoft XBox 360 and Xbox Live, let me just extend you a hand and say "Welcome to our side of the shitbox."
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |